P Bass pups for metal to blues

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Masterbasser71, Mar 14, 2004.

1. What do you think I should get for a good all around pickup? I have looked at Seymours, and DiMarzios. Should I go with the DiMarzio Model P? I am looking something I could down-tune my guitar and play heavy metal, regular tune it and play Zeppelin, Sabbath and Nirvana, but I wanna also play smooth stuff like "Santeria" and "Since I've Been Lovin' You".
    List of influences:
    Led Zeppelin
    Black Sabbath
    Jimi Hendrix
    Thanks for all suggestions!
    P.S where could I hear sound samples of each pickup.
    P.P.S could a tech be able to install new pickups, and create a series/parrallel pickup switching system? I have a Fender Standard Precision Bass. Would the system be expensive?
  2. Henko

Oct 15, 2002
    I put a Seymour Duncan SPB-1 in my JV-series Squier P-bass. I like that sound a LOT! The sound is not super bassy. It has strong mids and highs. Together with the passive tone control, the pickup makes it a very versatile bass. From raw and rude to fat and punchy. Not polite sounding but very useful and cutting.
  3. My bass in your

My bass in your

Nov 1, 2003
    I'd go active. 18 Volts EMG for me. :bassist:
  4. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    I've got a Seymour Duncan Hot for P. It's great for a lot of stuff, but for the really smooth blues, it doesn't suit as well as the SPB-1 might.

Consider Bartolinis.
  5. The more I go down this road, the more that strings come into focus as a very prime ingredient.

I have a 2000 MIM P-bass that has gone from stock to SPB-2 (Hot for P), to the current DP146 DiMarzio Will Power Middle. I have a new SPB-1 to install sometime, but not yet.

Somewhere along the way, I lost my big fundamental and the signature p-bass thump. As I look back, I'm thinking (read: guessing) a big part of this is the TI Jazz Flats I installed when I first got the bass. It used to thump like crazy with GHS Boomers and the stock pickup.

Today, my P is very middy-sounding, and has no thump. I dearly love the TI Flats, but I'm thinking they will have to go away, even if temporary so I can determine what happened to my sound. It is hard to imagine the DP146 being all mids, no thump and no fundamental. The SPB-2 + TI Flats was all mids, just like turning up the Mids control on my IOD. Yuck.

I notice the Smiley Face EQ with TI Flats gets closer.

So... I have a set of DA Chrome Flats, a used set of Fender 9050M, and perhaps a purchase of Labella Deep Talkin' Flats, as experiments to see if I can recover what is missing. If that doesn't do it, then I will install the new SPB-1 and try string combinations again.