1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

P bass pups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by John Deacon, Sep 6, 2008.

1. John Deacon

John Deacon

Aug 24, 2007
    Virginia
    Can anybody recommend me one? I have a MIM p bass, and I put American 62s in that. So for my next p bass, I want something less aggressive. Something more fat sounding. Any ideas? No EMGs though.

2. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    SD SPB-1

3. samriley

samriley

Jul 14, 2008
    Australia
    i put a dimarzio pickup in my squier p bass. much better than what came in it.

4. If you're after a nice old school, warm sound; I'd recommend Seymour Duncan Basslines 'Vintage' SPB-1.

However, a lot of people rave about Wizard pickups too.

5. Mad Tango

Mad Tango

Apr 18, 2006
    Pearland, Tx.
    I have tried(for weeks) and own a number of P-pups. The two that I can suggest is the Nordstrand NP1 and Seymour Duncan Antiquity II. Both are fat, warm, punchy, and very musical.

6. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    I ordered one custom from www.VintageVibeGuitars.com spec'ed with Alnico III magnets and a slight overwind. Hands down the warmest, fattest P-Bass I've played. Still very articulate. They put a sample I did for them up on their site. Price wise they're very reasonable, especially when you consider that it's fully custom, built to your spec... You should shoot Pete an email, tell him what you're looking for and see what he suggests. The words I used were warm, articulate and punchy.

This will be less brite than your Fender or the SPB-1 - the SPB-1 is also a good pickup but it's a near clone of your Fender 62's. I also dig the 62's. That 's what came out when I installed the Vintage Vibe. I wanted something less brite and aggressive as I already have that aggressive thing covered.

7. Thankful birds

Thankful birds

Jun 17, 2008
    Phoenix
    From what you've described, you'd probably love these-

http://www.guitarpartscentral.com/te...kup-p-494.html

http://www.guitarpartscentral.com/te...kup-p-495.html

They're Tesla's. I play in a jazz-rock band and wanted something strong and punchy without some of the extra growl pickups like Dimarzios can have, but also didn't want a muddy sound. This is what he installed and its spot on. I get a lot of compliments from sound guys and our fans on my bass tone. They're also cheap as hell, but very solidly made.

They're hard to find in the states, but they are great pickups. Spector has been using them for some time now. Here's a discussion of TB- http://www.talkbass.com/forum/archiv.../t-350000.html

8. neil933

neil933

Sep 4, 2008
    Hi, I've used the Dimarzio Model P's and loved them. They cut through the mix but have a rock type sound. They are better than anything in any stock bass, no matter what style music you play (and cheap). I agree with the comments above, that if you want a less agressive sound, the Duncans may be better choices. That said, I think the Dimarzio's can be used for any style and are great pickups. I find it's easier to tone down down a pickup than to hop it up. Hope this helps. PS I've played through the Dimarzio's all thru the 1990's. Later

9. ronlitz

ronlitz

Apr 20, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    I have '62 Fender p-pickups in my American Precision - I don't find them aggressive. They're a nice sounding pickup, but to me aggressive would mean emphasized mids or upper mids. A Dimarzio Model P is very middy - that to me is an aggressive pickup. I guess it depends on how you define aggressive.

10. T'CharleS

T'CharleS

Jul 6, 2008
    France
    CREL PB42, Overwound '59 fenders. Both very fat, lots of low end. Fenders are more vintagey and CREL more defined.

11. Craig_S

Craig_S Banned

Oct 15, 2008
    Metro Detroit
    I wouldn't consider the Duncan SPB-1 an aggressive pickup. I have one in my P. It has that beautiful, round P-Bass sound. The SPB-2 is supposed to have a boosted mid range and then there's the SPB-3 "Quarter Pounder".

12. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    Neither would I. The OP said, "...I want something less aggressive".

13. depalm

depalm

Apr 22, 2004
    São Paulo
    Nordstrand NP4. You won't regret.

14. X Wolf

X Wolf Guest

The Duncan SPB-2 might work or....
    My favorite: The Fralin "P" which can be custom wound to whatever tone you're looking for. They are however more $ than the Duncans. Also, you can go on Seymour Duncans website which has pretty good tone descriptions of the various pickups.

George

15. funkbass

funkbass

Dec 9, 2004
    You have to try out the Lakland VP P-Bass pickups. Go to the Lakland website and check them out. They have such a fat, warm tone...If you are not satisfied with the pickups, Lakland will take them back.

How's that for service ! You can't go wrong with Lakland !

16. Strange.
    If this thread had come up just a year ago, it would be flooding with people raving about the Quarter Pounder. Where has the love for it gone? Looks like people are back to basics with the vintage style. :D

I'm getting a bit tired of the QP myself. Maybe I'll try a Delano, heh...

17. Craig_S

Craig_S Banned

Oct 15, 2008
    Metro Detroit
    Sorry GlennW, I misread the OP. So I should have removed the quote. I think the SPB-1 is a great choice.

18. hey guys,

i am looking for a new pickup for my preci too. currently i am using a sadowsky pickup in it. but it sounds way to bright for my taste. i want a pickup that is very focused on the low frequencies (lows and low mids).

i thought about one of the following three:
    bartolini 8s deep tone
    emg-hz phz
    delano pmvc 4 fe/m2

i have also read the name of nordstrand, but i don't know them at all.

19. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    That's likely because the OP is asking for 'less aggressive' sounding pups. The QPs are quite aggressive. However, I really like them in my bass... even swapped out the NP4s I had for them as I found the NP4s a bit too trebly for my taste.