1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

p bass pups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by slaphappychappy, Dec 20, 2011.

1. slaphappychappy

slaphappychappy

May 25, 2011
    Hey is $65 good for standard fender precision pups? What would be a better alternative in that price range?

2. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Bill Lawrence P-46 kills any Fender pickup.
    Bass Pickups

3. PJRL

PJRL

Mar 27, 2010
    greenfield center NY
  4. slaphappychappy

slaphappychappy

May 25, 2011
    Just want to replace what's in my bass. They are quiet, thin, and crap. If I go to a fender pup or similar it should increase volume, and improve sound yes?

5. slaphappychappy

slaphappychappy

May 25, 2011
    How do the work?

6. Britbonic

Britbonic Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    You haven't told us what bass you're putting them into.

7. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    IMHO, the Fender pup is just okay. It's not that impressive, but it's not bad, either.

Actually, I've been looking for a new pup for my MIA Fender P so I'll ask here if that's cool :p. I'm wanting a pickup that:

- sounds even across the tonal spectrum (or at least doesn't have a scooped tone)
    - i'm not too interested in a vintage/woody tone
    - has a nice tight low end (full sounding without being boomy or untameable)
    - lots of low mids for thump and punch
    - has full, round sounding highs with some crispiness
    - nice high mids for clarity to each note, but nothing too honky
    - is capable of that punkish P grind when you play with a pick and have the tone turned up some
    - nice finger funk tone when the tone is rolled off

So yeah, any suggestions for that tone? :D

If it helps, the reason I'm looking to move away from the Fender pup is because it sounds kinda lifeless and slightly muddy. The highs (especially when you're playing in the upper register) sound hollow and empty, and there's no real punch to my notes. They all kinda bleed together a bit too much.

8. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    They work beautifully. Bill Lawrence P-46 is what you want.