1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

P-Bass question: Tone

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LDonnie, Aug 31, 2008.

1. LDonnie

LDonnie

Aug 3, 2008
    Netherlands
    Can someone please help me? I want to achieve this tone:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6iKqOMPZTw

I am even willing to buy replacement pickups to do so, any suggestions?

I'm fine with this tone as well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyfIQ7s14wc&feature=related

I would be real happy with any help I can get! :help:
    Ofcourse I have a P-Bass(ish) to insert the pickups.

EDIT: I feel like I need to explain some more. What I am actually looking for is a P-bass tone that really cuts through (no means to bash P-Bass users ofcourse) and sounds aggressive, since I'm used to Music Man basses.

2. broadblik

broadblik

Aug 10, 2008
    Sheffield, UK
    The first is classic Jazz bass tone, not sure about the second.

3. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    You should be able to get it just by eq using the eq on your amp. What amp do you have? if not I know nordstrands would make your bass sound very fat and growly. Make sure the tone and the volume on your bass are cranked up all the way. They set everything on the amp flat and then lower the bass alittle have the mids around 7 to 8 and the highs around 5 to 6.

4. EclecticElectrk

EclecticElectrk

Aug 26, 2008
    Brooklyn
    its hard to get a steve harris tone alright. i think he uses only the neck pickup and hits the strings hard enough so they slap against the board a little.

5. LDonnie

LDonnie

Aug 3, 2008
    Netherlands
    I actually just have a very crappy amp, but that is because I don't use it when practicing and when I have a gig, there is always an amp at hand. The current pickups I have came from the same P-bass construction kit and are just plain bad.

Are you sure? I always thought classic Jazzes sounded more like the one on the Stadium Arcadium album from RHCP.

Btw, thanks for the help.

6. broadblik

broadblik

Aug 10, 2008
    Sheffield, UK
    Nah, Flea uses the Modulus kit, which sounds a bit hollower, because of the graphite necks.

The Distillers bassist has just messed with his EQ a little.

The second I think theres a bit of effects in there.

7. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

One thing's for sure: The pickup placement is critical for getting the classic P tone (and I'm thinking of something like this). I can talk about it because two of my students have a P-type bass made by a local luthier (supposedly the same model with the same split pickup), but they are very different-sounding instruments. The most true P-sounding bass of the two has the pickup slightly closer to the neck than the other one.

8. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    Those tones are both totally different!

The first one looks like a boner Jazz bass, I couldn't stomach sitting through the whole video even though the singer is hot. Tone sounds like an active Jazz with rounds into an Ampeg setup.

The second is Steve Harris using Duncans, new Rotosound Jazz Flats, and a Trace Elliot rig (at least it used to be Trace, it might've changed)

A good compromise would be (in my mind) Duncans (P/J) nickel rounds and the willingness to use a pick sometimes. Playing through something SS and have a good hand at the EQ. :)

I'm still not sure why you'd want other people's tones though...

9. LDonnie

LDonnie

Aug 3, 2008
    Netherlands
    I'm pretty sure he used a '61 Jazz bass on Stadium Arcadium, I just checked (and the sound on the album obviously isn't that of his signature bass).

I'm still stuck with the fact of which instrument he is using and what a nice set of pickups would be for a P-bass to achieve that sound (or something that gets close). I'm not really at home in the pickup market.

10. LDonnie

LDonnie

Aug 3, 2008
    Netherlands
    I feel like I need to explain some more. What I am actually looking for is a P-bass tone that really cuts through (no means to bash P-Bass users ofcourse) and sounds aggressive, since I'm used to Music Man basses.

11. icantaffordawal

icantaffordawal

May 28, 2008
    Kentucky
    I know exactly what you're looking for man. Get a Fender Mike Dirt Precision Bass. If you want a good sample of it, and it's really similar to this, check this song out http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=YV60n4-0-RE

Hope this helped

12. LDonnie

LDonnie

Aug 3, 2008
    Netherlands
    Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm not really out to purchase a whole new bass, just upgrading an old one. I don't really know what pickups to get though.

13. LDonnie

LDonnie

Aug 3, 2008
    Netherlands
    Sorry to bump this, but talking about this subject really makes me want to order some replacement pickups. :hyper:

So far I have heard Nordstrands and Seymour Duncans.
    Any other suggestions? Thanks alot!

14. Surly

Surly

Feb 2, 2007
    South Florida
    Sounds like P-bass with roundwound strings tone knob turned up a smudge. It's hard to get exact sounds like what you hear on albums after they've been tweaked and mastered.

15. LDonnie

LDonnie

Aug 3, 2008
    Netherlands
    I made up my mind. After some research I concluded I will be buying some Seymour Duncan Quarter-Pounds. If a moderator should read this: this thread can be closed.
    Everyone, thanks a bunch!

16. icantaffordawal

icantaffordawal

May 28, 2008
    Kentucky
    Oh, well in that case get a Custom Shop '59 p-pickup.

17. Luckydog

Luckydog Supporting Member

Dec 25, 1999
    SD QPs will not give you loads of mids. They are more a full range pup. If you want signature precision tone (and that tone supports as well as cuts), you need pups that highlight the mids.

18. markdavid

markdavid

Jun 29, 2007
  19. Eh, pickups, strings, etc....if you wanna get the Maiden sound, DIG IN. I know you're supposed to use x+y+z, but I've been able to nail his tone with a Kramer bass with Markley Blue Steels with EMG P and J pickups. I keep the action medium low, but play HARD when I want that sound.

20. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Marshall Cabs, Trace Head.