Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

p-bass question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Stinkoman20xx, Jul 25, 2004.

1. Stinkoman20xx

Stinkoman20xx

Oct 19, 2003
    This will sound pretty dumb to most but im not to fammillar with p-basses. Im really wanting a p to mess around with. im really into that old geezer butler black sabbath tone and I no he used and old fender p. I was told that their really isnt that much diffrence in tone from vintage fenders and mewer ones and since p's to me dont seem much diffrent in construction and simple electronics so im wondering would a older japanese p-bass clone get me close to what im looking for or do fender p-basses sound alot diffrent the most?

2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I recommend getting out and playing as many P-basses as you can. Some cheaper ones sound great and are well made, some more expensive ones are duds soundwise.

3. Definitely play as many as you can. Fenders: American ones, Japanese ones, Mexican ones; cheap copies, expensive copies, etc. Even Ibanezes and basses that have P pickups.