P-Bass Question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Coop Soup, Sep 16, 2005.

1. Coop Soup

Coop Soup

Aug 24, 2005
    Hello, I have a question regarding stringing a P-Bass. Right now I'm doing the through the body thing, and I'm wondering what's the basic tonal difference if I string it through the bridge. I'd assume it would have less low end... but I'm curious to hear what some of you folks that have done it think.

2. xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    people say there is a difference, i did it both ways, i didnt find one,

the only thing i did notice was strinign my elixirs through the body, caused some wierd overtones on the e string. thru bridge, its been fine.
  3. Coop Soup

Coop Soup

Aug 24, 2005
    I got a ton of weird overtones on my E as well... I had changed strings, (it came with nickel strings and I typically prefer stainless) I ended up throwing the nickel strings back on and the weird overtones went away.
  4. AGCurry

Jun 29, 2005
    Kansas City
    I don't think it makes a difference.
  5. Ninja>Pirate

Ninja>Pirate Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2005
    Saskatchewan Canada
    There is a difference, however slight.

through bridge: slightly more attack :bassist:
    through body: slightly more sustain :cool:
  6. xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    yeah the wierd overtones will come and go. sometimes id restring and it would be fine, others would be horrendous.

my guitar tech thought i was nuts.

so some on here told me about trying it through the bridge because through the body, you sometimes can twist the string, causing some wierd tones.
  7. Lalala

Sep 15, 2005
    The Netherlands
    Stringing through body will increase sustain and through bridge will increase attack like the pirate said. I like to string my E and A through the bridge because I do most of my chording on that, stringing the D and G through the body gives a nice ringing sustain