Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

p-bass question

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by phunky345, Nov 30, 2001.

1. phunky345

phunky345

Jun 20, 2000
    Missoula, MT
    Hi everyone. I'm building my own p-bass (with stuff better than any fender at the $300 i'm paying) from eBay scraps, and I have a couple of questions. I'm putting a pickup cover on it, just like the 50's models, but the old p-basses had different pickguards than they have now. Would it be possible for me to drill through my pickguard? Also, my headstock doesn't have a string-tree thingy installed on it. How would one go about putting one of those in?
    Thanks a lot, I'll post pics once this bass is done!
    Kyle

2. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    Well, Fender sells vintage-style pickguards that have holes in them for pickup covers and finger rests. You can get one of those from a local music store (you'll probably have to special order it though)

If you already have a pickguard ordered, drilling holes in it is no big deal. Its just plastic. Get a drill bit thats the right size and drill away.

As for string trees, there is one under the D and G strings on the headstock. Its about halfway between the nut and the machine head for the D string. (second skinniest) Make sure you line it up exactly right with the strings when you screw it in! You can get string trees from www.warmoth.com or order the Fender American Standard string tree from a Fender dealer. Or, if you order a neck from warmoth, they'll drill all the holes in it for you.

3. phunky345

phunky345

Jun 20, 2000
    Missoula, MT
    Thanks for the info! How do you fasten in the string tree? Glue? Does it screw in? I guess if I looked at one not installed i'd know what to do with it. I once had a crappy washburn p-bass copy, but that was before I hit my "take it apart in put it back together" phase. I'm used to basses without pickguards or string trees.
    Thanks again,
    Kyle

4. phunky345

phunky345

Jun 20, 2000
    Missoula, MT
    My bad, I just realized that you said it screws in...

5. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    yeah, it screws in with a really short screw. your string tree should come with this screw.