p bass question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by jackson0321, Dec 25, 2001.

1. jackson0321

Apr 4, 2001
    Houston, TX
    i have a mia pbass, i put active emgs and i am wondering if there is anything else i can do to improve this bass. onboard preamp ??? anything
  2. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Depends on what you mean by "improve." There are tons of things you can do to it, including adding preamps, changing bridges, and so on, but whether or not these will make an improvement is an open question. EMG makes active tone circuits you can use with your EMG-P, but what is it you really want? When it's all said and done, it'll still sound like a Precision, so you should be sure that's a sound you like before you go too far.

3. How `bout lessons?:p

J/K I bought my P specifically to remain a P.Good bass to have in the stable,kind of the standard(or was at one time)to which you can judge other basses.

Not to rag on your for upgrading/modding a P but I would have chosen a nice J to hotrod or customize i.e. custom pre,pups,etc. Just my $.02 worth. :)
  4. You can improve the bass by taking the EMGs off and putting the stock pickups back. Not that I have anything against EMGs (I am thinking of a set for a bass I have), but they are NOT P.

So to speak!

And the stock P pup is killer. It rocks. And grooves.