1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

P Bass Re-wire halp needed

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by SqeakySpeedKing, Dec 31, 2011.

1. SqeakySpeedKing

SqeakySpeedKing

Jan 3, 2011
    What have I done wrong? I'm not getting sound, only buzz.

2. Rephotograph, this time from the back of the controls so we can see which tags the wires are soldered to.

M.

3. SqeakySpeedKing

SqeakySpeedKing

Jan 3, 2011
    Here is the reverse image.

4. Andyman001

Andyman001 Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2010
    Idaho
    You need to use the middle tab of the Vol pot. Hooking up to both ends is like having it "off" all the time.
    Google "p-bass wiring diagram" and look at a couple of images.

5. SqeakySpeedKing

SqeakySpeedKing

Jan 3, 2011
    The middle tab is actually broken off. I was hoping to salvage both pots until I'm ready to change them. I've checked many diagrams and it seems that each one is a little different.

6. 1) Swap green and red wires soldered to the socket

2) Move green and black wires (as a pair) on the volume control (the right hand in your picture) to centre tag on volume control (ensuring no tags are soldered together on the volume control)

3) Now move the red to the tag you've just taken the green and black off of in 2 (the upper tag in your second picture).

4) the tag you've just taken the red off of (lower tag in your second picture) must be connected to the case of the volume control.

M.

7. SqeakySpeedKing

SqeakySpeedKing

Jan 3, 2011
    thanks, I'll try it!

8. I see you say the middle tab is broken off - if you solder carefully you should be able to solder the wires to the remaining portion of the centre tab.

M.

9. SqeakySpeedKing

SqeakySpeedKing

Jan 3, 2011
    so far, not working, no buzz, no nothing.

10. SqeakySpeedKing

SqeakySpeedKing

Jan 3, 2011
    do I have to let everything cool down before plugging in?

11. New picture (from the rear of the controls)

12. SqeakySpeedKing

SqeakySpeedKing

Jan 3, 2011

13. The connection of the green and black to the centre tab on the volume control does not look good, looks like it is shorted to the case of the volume control (this will short-circuit the signal).

And is the red soldered to the socket? The angle does not show it well.

14. SqeakySpeedKing

SqeakySpeedKing

Jan 3, 2011
    the red from the jack is soldered to the left tab. I'll try again on the middle tab for the green and black. The black is coming from a tone pot tab. Is that okay?

15. Everything looks in the right place, it's just the connection appears to be shorting against the case.

16. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

With such I cluster**** of cables, I suggest wiring the pickup straight to the jack for now, until you have money for decent pots.

17. SqeakySpeedKing

SqeakySpeedKing

Jan 3, 2011
    Doubtless is a poopiee job. It's my first time soldering and wiring these things but I'm eager to learn. I have some new pots but I will need to route the void for them to fit. This is a 1990 Squier II bass with mini-pots. The new Fender 25's I have a larger. I figured I'd practice wiring with the crappy pots first.

18. If you don't have a wiper terminal, the pot is worth no more than a fixed resistor. The wiper terminal is the one that sweeps across the resistive track, so there is no application you could use a pot without one in.

If you cannot work with the remaining part of the terminal, you will need a new pot.

All P bass wiring diagrams are the same, just physically laid out a little differently.

19. SqeakySpeedKing

SqeakySpeedKing

Jan 3, 2011
    Got it!

20. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    Its also easier to wire up the controls while they are mounted on the pickguard.

Also, is that solid wire? You will find thinner stranded wire easier to deal with.