Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

P Bass replacement tonal differences

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by dirk, Mar 25, 2002.

1. dirk

dirk

Apr 6, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    Can someone who has experience with both the Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounder and the Fender 62 Vintage P Bass pickups tell me about the tonal differences between the two.. Or if you don't own both, can you just explain how the one you own sounds. I'm going to replace my MIM P Bass Pup and I need to decide on a sound that I want to achieve.

Dirk

2. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    The main differences are in the mids and highs. The QP has really extended highs for a passive pup, and some folks (like me) think it tends toward harshness. The original '62 will have plenty of highs, but they won't be so brittle sounding. Also, the mids on the Original '62 tend to be thicker, which a lot of people (like me) like. Both give reasonable clarity and definition, but the QP is probably higher output.

3. The QP does have a lot of highs, due to the larger poles. As Flatwound said, I've heard lots of people describe it as "Nasal" or "Harsh." Some people like it. Out of the two its probobly personal opinion, but the '62 will be cheaper (If money is an object)

4. Hey,
    I have the Fender '62 Reisue P-Bass pickup on my Warmoth (alder body, maple neck, rosewood fretboard--for tone reference).
    I like what I hear a lot. It has a more vintage sound than current pickups--which I suppose is obvious. It sounds nice and warm with clear, smooth highs and deep articulate lows. It is defiantly not nasaly or harsh, as the QP was described earlier. It's very "pretty".
    It sounds great with both picks and fingers--I switch off depending on the song.
    I play it through a GK head and an SWR 4x10. I put my tone almost flatline (a little more on the bass side), then use the mid contour button (basically cuts the mids). I'm very pleased with the way my rig sounds right now. I think that out of all those variables the pickup does play a big part. I definatly recommend it if that's the sound your going for.