P Bass ruined?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by bassman134, May 22, 2002.

1. Hey,

My uncle has a 1978 P Bass. Except for the initial setup, he has never adjusted the truss rod and really only changed the strings a few times. It has also spent a lot of time at pitch in the case. He recently made a friend who supposedly knows how to setup guitars and he said that the neck is permanently bowed and cannot be corrected with the truss rod. The action is pretty high on it. Does this guy sound like he knows what he is talking about? Can a neck be wrecked by sitting like this? Does my uncle have any options except for a new neck(I a currently scouring Ebay for one).

2. My Squier sat in a soft shell case for a couple of years, with very minimal time out. It was tuned to pitch, also.

When I started playing again, the neck was fine. All it needed was a slight tune.

I'd take it to a pro, and let them make a prfessional opinion.

A good luthier could fix the neck, for a price.
  3. grab the bass. Hold it by the body and look down it, rest your chin behind the bridge so to speak. Does the neck bow? If so, how much? It should have a slight gradual relief. Ignore action height for the moment.

Or you could try lowering the action, just lower the saddles, then look down it to scope out just how much curve there is.

4. I agree - get a second opinion!!! The friend supposedly knows how to setup basses, find someone that definitely does and see what they say. The work might well be a lot less than a new neck!