Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

P Bass S1 Swiching

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pbassfreak, Dec 8, 2004.

1. pbassfreak

pbassfreak

May 2, 2001
    long beach
    Just out of curiousity does anyone really use this feature.I personally dont see the advantage.

2. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    I've used it when tooling in the stores and it makes it a lot more useful for slapping but I don't like the way it thins the fingerstyle tone.

3. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    Yeah, that's 'cause slapping is really exactly what it's for... that "funky" sound the J can get so well, as it's a mid scoop. For finger style, it's hard to beat the native P sound on a bass with no pickup by the bridge anyway.

On the J, it's kinda' wierd, tho. On that bass, it kills one of the volume pots and somehow alters the tone to be more P like.

The bottom line is, in both cases, it's designed to let one bass sorta' sound like "the other one" as a secondary ability for those who only want to carry one bass but kinda' cover both tones.

Personally, I'd just carry a P and a J to the gig. I have a Dub bag, so it's no problem, but I have DiMarzio Model J's in my Geddy, and I swear it gets a pretty darn good P sound on the neck pickup, so it's really not a problem for me anyway.

4. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    The switch is ok. I predict Fender wont offer it as a feature for very long though. Most seem to be underwhelmed by it.

5. lawndart

lawndart

Oct 4, 2003
    Northern NJ
    i hope the dicontinue it. or at least offer it as an option. Thats whats sorta holding me back on purchacing a MIA Jazz right now. Dont really care for it.

6. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    I dont like it either, but if you dont use it, whats the problem?

7. Z-Bass

Z-Bass Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I'm surprised that Fender doesn't just offer the switch as one of their standard features. It's one of those common modifications that a lot of players seem to complete aftermarket. I could be wrong but it doesn't seem like a difficult feature to add.

I tried both P and J basses with the S-1 switch. I felt that the Jazz benefits more from the switch than the P. I agree with others that the P thins out when engaged, however, I could see this being a useful feature when using an outboard preamp, i.e. using the regular setting passive for the traditional P tone we're all familiar with, and engaging the S-1 switch with the outboard. May provide a more modern tone if needed.

8. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    I have a jazz with the S1 switching and I like it a lot. Its almost always on. I really like what it adds to my over all tone when I use a pick. I dont think the S1 feature on a P makes sense.

9. I've noticed on MIA jazzes, that the S1 switch completely silences the bridge pickup. I don't like that.

10. lawndart

lawndart

Oct 4, 2003
    Northern NJ
    here here. played one the other day and i noticed that.

11. phatcactus

phatcactus

Apr 2, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Nah, man, it just puts the neck and bridge pickups in series like a giant, giant humbucker. Both pickups are on, but their volumes cannot be controlled independently because they're acting like one big pickup.

On the P-bass, it puts both coils in parallel, which is how the Jazz pickups usually are. So that might be why it sounds more like a jazz bass.

I personally like the switch, but I wish they'd've made it an actual toggle switch instead of a button. Too many functions jammed onto one poor control makes me queasy.

12. lawndart

lawndart

Oct 4, 2003
    Northern NJ
    wow, i did not notice that.

13. Me neither....I guess it was because it sounded so P-bassish.

14. the S-1 switch isn't new even for Fender-

the early 90's Precision plus (PJ) had a series/parallel push-button select for the p pickup.
    on mine I found the parallel pos dropped out all the mids- it was pretty useless.
    if i wanted a scooped sound I'd just use the P and J full on.