1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

P bass + SansAmp tone HELP!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by os23coda, Jan 23, 2012.

1. os23coda

os23coda

Jan 23, 2012
    Hey,
    Been playing bass mainly on a Fender Jag for years now and im looking to move to a precision bass for a warmer tone. Im in a heavy band and tone wise im looking for rise against, defeater, the subways (see links). Im thinking about getting the Roger Waters signature, because a brass nut and seymour duncan quarter pounder were mods i was going to make to a standard p bass anyways.

Pedal wise i use a few EHX pedals but im looking at the Tech 21 SansAmp Bass Driver DI. Would the R.W signature with that SansAmp pedal be a step in the right direction? Any P bass users with experience with the SansAmp out there!

Tone examples:
    Rise Against - Drones - YouTube
    Defeater - The Bite and Sting - YouTube

2. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Sep 24, 2007
    Bethel CT
    Those 2 should work well for the tone your looking. I like the regular bass driver better then the VT bass personally. Set the Bass driver to the SVT setting in the manual and tweek it to taste. Your gonna want some stainless strings like Rotosounds.

3. I think a P-Bass and any Sansamp pedal will get you in the ballpark. My P with SD Antiquity II pickup and VT Bass on the SVT setting gets that sound, no problem.

4. seedokebass

seedokebass

Mar 21, 2009
    Minnesota
    The clips you provided sound pretty gnarly, I think the VT would get you closer to that tone.

Here's my MIJ P into an RBI, check out the songs Unforgettable, Sweet Revenge, and Poison Pill. The first one is with a pick, the other two are finger style

Escape Siren | Free Music, Tour Dates, Photos, Videos

5. moonshinegtrs

moonshinegtrs Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 28, 2009
    White Bluff,Tn.
    Owner: Moonshine Custom Guitars
    My regular rig consist of one of my P basses (most have a S.D.SPB-3), using a original style Sansamp; It's a pretty versatile sound. It works with everything from Southern rock to aggressive rock with a pick to Contemporary Christian.

Moonshine :bassist:

6. bassmachine2112

bassmachine2112

Mar 23, 2008
    Hell yeh,I play all my basses with one all the time.
    Don,t know what I,d do without one.
    Treble -10 0 clock
    Bass -2 o clock
    drive -12 o clock
    level-unity gain,presence and blend to taste.
    job done-this will aproximate a svt ampeg.

7. os23coda

os23coda

Jan 23, 2012
    So what are the noticeable differences between the Tech 21 SansAmp VT and the Tech 21 SansAmp Bass Driver DI??? From my local shop they're basically the same price just cant get my hands on them yet because they're sold out for a bit :'(

8. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

After owning the VT for a little over a year now, I have to say I like the BDDI better. The differences tonally, to me anyway, are that the VT has a bit more inherent high end and alot more crunch. It's 'distortion' if that's what you want to call it, seems a touch more brittle though harmonically rich. I think the BDDI actually comes closer to the sound of a slightly overdriven SVT. After extensive use, I now view the VT as more of an "effects" pedal than an actual useable pre-amp stage. I found the BDDI more applicable for a wider range of tones. Im sure many will disagree considering the VT's popularity but that's my take. Anyone wanna trade a BDDI for a VT?

9. kraigo

kraigo

Jun 21, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    I hated the BDDI. I sold mine. Twice. I felt like it sucked the mids out too much. The only way I was using it was as a DI with the blend completely to the "no SansAmp" side. I decided that rather than do that I'd be better off with using the DI off the back of my amp for fewer cable.

I'm still getting used to the VT. I wanted it for at least two years and now that I finally have it I'm not that bowled over by it. I want to give it a bit more time before I make up my mind on it.

I'm beginning to thing I'm just a P-Bass with flats into a relatively flat amp kind of guy. It gives me a really workable tone with very, very little effort.

KO

10. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Sep 24, 2007
    Bethel CT
    I had both a BDDI and VT at the same time. The VT has the Character knob and a mids knobs, The BDDI has Presence and Blend instead. Out of the 2 I like the BBDI better. The VT bass always sounded processed or fake to me. Also I had a VT deluxe which doesnt have the speaker sim. defeat button so it always had a bit to much top end for me which kinda defeated the purpose of having 6 presets. No matter how I twisted the knobs you couldnt get rid of the top end making every preset sound the same