Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

P-bass scratchplate removement.

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Redhotbassist, Nov 2, 2004.

1. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    Hey, yeah i decided to get rid of my old scratchplate on my p bass.. i took the strings off, and then unscrewed the whole plate, and then tried to get the volume/tone knobs off, but couldnt, there was these little screws on the side of them, i unscrewed them,. but still they wouldnt budge, any ideas?..

Any advice or possible actions would be appreciated. thanks.

:)

2. ardorx

ardorx

Sep 23, 2004
    Sugar Land, TX
    try taking the little screws out, if that doest work, try twisting the knob to see if it moves on the "shaft" it goes on. but if it doesnt with enough force, then don't force it. that's all i can suggest. I have an american p-bass and i know when i changed my pickguard, it was tough. another thing you could try is to get a pair of pliers, and try to wiggle the knob up off the shaft. :eyebrow:

3. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    Yeah, .. the only thing in the way is the volume knobs.. theyre stopping me from actually getting the scratchplate off.. ive tried nearly everything, and they wont budge.. and i did un screw the little screws and still no luck.. argh. cheers anyway man.

4. ardorx

ardorx

Sep 23, 2004
    Sugar Land, TX
    i don't know man, i tried i tried to help. but good luck. ps, i usually don't take my strings off. it should just slide between the pickups and the strings just fine.

5. ardorx

ardorx

Sep 23, 2004
    Sugar Land, TX
    if yuo could take a pic of this monstrosity, it might help.

6. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    Hahaha yeah i might take a picture of it.. but its just the bloody volume controls.. the stupid things, they used to fall apart all the time and come off when pulling them, and now when i want them to come off the bloody things wont budge! ill try stronger tools.. flippin' things!

7. ardorx

ardorx

Sep 23, 2004
    Sugar Land, TX
    If you're putting a new pickguard on, I have an idea. Try to cut the pickguard off around the knobs, then try to get the little peices off that are left. Just a thought... :ninja: