Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

p bass slap tone

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by funky plunky, Aug 21, 2004.

1. funky plunky

funky plunky

Mar 18, 2004
    anyone else here like fender p bass slap tone? because i do. i also find it easier to use for slap than a j because of the wider string spacing, both for the fretting hand and the plucking hand.

2. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Wide string spacing is good for slapping. My favorite studio bass has "extra wide" string spacing. You can really dig in underneath the strings when you have to.

3. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    There was a time when the P-bass tone was the dominant slap tone heard. Just check out all of the older 70's records. The Asia album by Steely Dan features Chuck Rainey slapping a P on several cuts, most notably "Peg." I understand that Bob Glaub did some good slapping on some of the old Donna Summer hits. Even some of the older Will Lee stuff like "Life is a Dance" on the Chaka Khan's first solo album, "Naughty," feature Will Lee on a slapped P-bass. Also Chaka Khan's brother, Mark Stevens, slapped the heck out of his P on the track "Some Love" on the "Naughty" album also.

4. funky plunky

funky plunky

Mar 18, 2004
    its just something ballsy about the tone that appeals. it has definate slap tone but still retains the big low end. and if you need more highs for your pops than you can just boost the high end on the EQ. J bass slapping has a nice tone too, but in some circumstances a really low tone fits.

5. Fretless5verfan

Fretless5verfan Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Philadelphia
    I was just commenting on that to a friend about my Roscoe's slap tone. I'm terrible at slapping so i try to steer clear of it, but the slap tone is so P-Bass style ballsy that it fits right in with the fingertone for some very smooth transitions.

It's good to see some other people dig that kind of slap tone.

6. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    Another vote here.
    I had a Fernandes Pbass that was really easy to slap.
    Stock pickups were not very good, but construction and playability were ok.
    It was my first P bass and always thought that Jazz basses were
    the ones for slapping (I still prefer their tone to Precisions by far).

I recorded this short clip before selling it.

Fernandes Precision

7. im not to big a fan of it, i like to enlist kubickis, jazz's n stingrays..but when ever i slap on jazz's i tend to solo the neck pup for a thicker sound, while on my kubicki i have 2 diff slap tones dependant on the song normally i use the boosted active mode with the 2 pups centered and the other ill use a jazz like passive tone with the neck pup solo'd, sounds awesome, ill try and get some clips up later

8. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I prefer P's to J's even for slap.

9. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I love a good P-bass for thumbing... just listen to Ready Freddy Washington on some of Anita Baker's songs (e.g. Same Ole Love) or Patrice Rushen's 'Forget Me Nots'... happenin' stuff.

10. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    +1. The P works so well in so many styles.

I'm also finding having a series/parallel switch is handy for a different slap tone. Switching from series to parallel gives me a StingRay-ish tone. I'm barely a slapper, but I do it in a few songs.

11. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    All basses are just pseudo-P-basses.

*Prepares for flaming*

12. "Forget Me Nots"

"Brickhouse"

..........'nuff said!

I love my GB bass for slapping with it's mix of modern and vintage slap tones, but the two tracks above stick in my mind from back in the day, not only because they are cool basslines but also the tone! I do prefer a J bass or MM for slap though!

Tony

13. wheres my flamethrower :p , but no, i see the kubicki as being more a decendant of a jazz, the stingray and a few yamaha's i can see the p-bass resemblance. but the kubicki i can picture it as a futuristic jazz

14. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Another good example of slapped P-bass is The Brothers Johnson's first album, "Look Out For Number One." ThAT album featured songs like "I'll Be Good To You," "Get The Funk Out My Face," "Free and Single," "The Devil," "Thunder Thumbs and Lightning Licks," etc.

15. I like the slap tone of my P-Bass when it's strung with Fat-Beams or any other SS string. It still seems kind of lacking in depth compared to a Jazz with both pups' on full.

The P-Bass has a "Bonk Bonk Bonk" sort of clankyness.

16. :cool: (Aja ;) )

:hyper: That is such a cool song, glad to know someone else apreciates it!!!

Great stuff!!!!

Anyone know who played bass on "Forget Me Nots?"

:confused:

17. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Ready Freddy all the way...