Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

P Bass Sound in J Bass Shape

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by agreatheight, Feb 23, 2006.

1. After posting here a few days ago about P-Bass options I have started thinking about building my own using some Warmoth / Fender parts. It seems like something that I should do at some point, so why not now...

Anyway, I was begining to plan my attack when I started to think outside of the box of just assembling a P-bass. I have always been a bigger fan of the Jazz body style BUT a bigger fan of the Precision sound - can I combine the two? What would an ash Jazz body with Precision style pickups and a Precision neck sound like? What would an ash Jazz body with Precision style pickups and a Jazz neck sound like?

Any insights on how body shape and neck design would affect such a project? Thanks in advance!

2. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    I think the shape of the body in this case is irrelevant. A Precision style neck and pickups will make it sound and play just like a P-bass.

3. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    It sounds like you're the ideal customer for Fender's Frank Bello signature bass. Jazz body, Precision neck, a Duncan Quarter Pounder P (as well as a Fender Noiseless Samarium Cobalt J in the bridge - it's nice to have tonal options to play with) and any color you like as long as it's black. :D

[​IMG]

4. gregandgail

gregandgail

Dec 15, 2005
    Austin, TX
    I've never played one, but this might be close to what you're looking for:

- Alder Jazz Body
    - Precision Bass Neck
    - 1 Seymour Duncan Basslines SPB-3 Quarter Pound Split-Coil Precision Pickup
    - 1 Samarium Cobalt Noiseless Jazz Bass Pickup

It looks like the Aerodyne body but made with alder instead of basswood. The aerodyne seems to be a "love it" or "hate it" bass. I personally love it.

http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=0130095306

-Greg

5. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Wow. 2 posts 1 minute apart suggesting the same bass.

You should go with that!

6. basstruck

basstruck Guest

Nov 25, 2005
    Sudbury
    The contour of the body will not affect the sound or tone
    The thickness and wood used for the body or the wood used fingerbboard might affect the tone or the sound.
    Definitly pickups used will affect the tone and the sound
    So if you want something very unique and different, go with jazz style neck through body and PJ pickups serie/parallel, active/passive and it will be a bass very versatile

7. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    Off the rack.
    Mark Hoppis sig. bass
    Jazz body, P-neck, and pickups.
    A Warmoth jazz body, routed for P-bass pickup. P-neck.
    Or just let Nino, make you one?

8. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    +1 hoppus sig.. if thats what youre into.

9. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I was thinking a Hoppus sig if you can stomach it.

10. For Buddha's sake put a tone knob on that thing!

11. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    could you actually wire a tone knob onto that bad boy?

12. StringsOf4

StringsOf4

Dec 16, 2005
    why do people knock the mark hoppus bass?? It's just a P with a jazz body and Seymour Duncan pickups. I think its d*mn fine for a factory bass. The only reason it doesn't have a tone knob is because he doesn't use it. It comes in black and white for those who don't dig 50's colors. It's pretty much what people do to upgrade a bass, but it's already done for you.

PS, I'm not a 14 yr old noob, either, but I did get my start from blink.

13. instigata

instigata

Feb 24, 2006
    New Jersey
    yeaa.. he doesn't use tone...

because his basslines were pretty dull..

i started on led zeppelin, the beatles, the doors, incubus, red hot chili peppers... some jazz.

i think i'm better for it

14. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    What about the Fender Mark Hoppus bass? P-bass pickup, J-body, J-neck.

15. at my local GC there is a green hoppus.
    it has a three knob control plate, the first knob does nothing and the other two are vol/tone.
    someone had a bridge cover on it and the paint is a little chipped at one of the screw holes. it is/was quite cheap.
    if it was white i would have bought it on the spot.
    somebay i will have nino make me a white jazz bodied pbass.
    :hyper:

16. why not go all out and get the Stu Hamm sig? A jazz and p in one with a killer body style. Now if only it was passive...

17. :cool: For the Hoppus it's real easy to add a tone control. Just add a stack-knob from StewMac, or wherever, and you don't have to do any real changes to the bass. Simple, NO!!! Then, just take his name off of it and you've got a nice bass, if you really like the J-Bass shape, P-Bass sound and neck feel.

18. indykrap

indykrap

Nov 6, 2004
    Damn, thats a really good idea.

19. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I lot of people used to put jazz necks on P bass bodies. I think most of the P bass sound comes from the pickups and the pickup location.

If you want to go the DIY route, I am pretty sure that Warmoth will route a body any way you want. So they would route a jazz body for P bass pickups. They also now will finish the body for you.

As for the neck, I would pick the one you like better.

But the idea of getting a Hoppus model might be a cheaper alternative. I for one prefer the P bass without the tone control. I leave the pot in place but it is disconnected. I feel you get a bit more highs with the tone control removed.

So if you do go the Hoppus route, I would try it first without the tone control and see how you like it.