1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

P-Bass sounding harsh.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by shughey, Sep 29, 2008.

1. shughey

shughey

Nov 21, 2006
    Dover, NH
    I just recently picked up a '06 American Fender P-Bass from a used guitar store. Brought it home, strung it with La Bella flats, and intonated it. I started playing it through my Ampeg B200r and realized the tone I was getting was a little harsh. My EQ is relatively flat w/ a small bass boost, slight lo-mid boost. For example if I play eighth notes on the low G on the low E string it sounds a little middy and hollow. I want to aim for more of a rounder sound with the flats/P-bass combo but I feel like i'm not getting that with my set up. Any advice as to what I can do?

2. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    Set your EQ completely flat then tweak it.

And let those flats break in. :)

3. markorbit

markorbit

Apr 16, 2004
    I wouldn't equate middy with hollow myself but the only things you can really try are adjusting pickup height and action. Maybe the pickups are a tad high?

One thing I've learned is that some basses just sound the way they do and there's only so much you can do to change that fundamental character.

4. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL

+1 pickup height, you'd be amazed.

5. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    Don't make any setup adjustments until you've played those flats for a few days. Hollow and clangy is normal for new Labellas.

6. shughey

shughey

Nov 21, 2006
    Dover, NH
    I just tried adjusting the pickup height but that hasn't affected it at all. I'm thinking it may be my amp or my room, or maybe a combination of the two. I tried other basses through my amp recently and I can hear that it sounds flat/ middy on the low notes. I have had this experience as well with all combos I own, but when I play them in the store at the same volume this doesn't occur, it sounds round and full. I don't know if that makes any sense but I can't figure out why i'm getting this sound with different bass/ amp combinations.

7. lowtide

lowtide Commercial User

Oct 14, 2006
    Bradenton, Florida
    Owner: Buzzard's Bass Shop
    +1

8. lowtide

lowtide Commercial User

Oct 14, 2006
    Bradenton, Florida
    Owner: Buzzard's Bass Shop
    That may be all it is . . . the room. Many times playing out I've had to change everything on my amp to get the sounds I'm used to.