Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

P bass special...is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pil, Aug 8, 2005.

1. pil

pil

Feb 17, 2005
    Pimlico, UK
    I want a p bass, i like the sound - but ive already got a j bass that im very happy with...

The question is, it worth getting a P bass special - or just go for the P?

I have done a search for this but couldn't find anything relevant.

Thanks in advance :bassist:

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Which one, are you talking about the new active P-bass sp0ecial out of Mexico or what?

3. oldrocker

oldrocker

Feb 13, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    I picked up a 4 year old MIM P bass special on the Bay.

[​IMG]

For me it was worth it. An inexpensive way to get the P Bass tone with a Jazz Bass neck.

If you like the Jazz bass neck go for it, If you prefer the wider P bass neck just go with a P Bass

4. Does this P-bass special has a Jazz-bass-like neck? Didn't know this.
    edit: just visited the Fender website, and I don't see this model. Do they still make it? I always like this bass, a friend of mine has one, but never played it, but sounds and looke great.

5. JohnBarr

JohnBarr

Mar 19, 2004
    Central NY
    Fender issued a P-bassSpecial a couple yrs ago. The ones I've seen have a gold anno pick guard and retail for just under $600. P body, J neck, P/J pups
    IMHO these are fine guitars. I recently played darn near every bass on the wall in the local Daddys and it blew everything else away for tone, balance, and neck.

I don't want to come off sounding like I've been around the world. I'm not a pro player, but I do annoy most of the local shops regularly and play everything I can get my hands on.
    If I had the $$ I'd be on one of these like white on rice. I think they may be one of the best buys out there in that price range.

John

6. oldrocker

oldrocker

Feb 13, 2005
    Long Island, NY

P Bass Special

New ones are Active. Mine is Passive.