1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

P bass special...is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pil, Aug 8, 2005.

1. pil

pil

Feb 17, 2005
    Pimlico, UK
    I want a p bass, i like the sound - but ive already got a j bass that im very happy with...

The question is, it worth getting a P bass special - or just go for the P?

I have done a search for this but couldn't find anything relevant.

Thanks in advance :bassist:

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Which one, are you talking about the new active P-bass sp0ecial out of Mexico or what?

3. oldrocker

oldrocker

Feb 13, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    I picked up a 4 year old MIM P bass special on the Bay.

[​IMG]

For me it was worth it. An inexpensive way to get the P Bass tone with a Jazz Bass neck.

If you like the Jazz bass neck go for it, If you prefer the wider P bass neck just go with a P Bass

4. Does this P-bass special has a Jazz-bass-like neck? Didn't know this.
    edit: just visited the Fender website, and I don't see this model. Do they still make it? I always like this bass, a friend of mine has one, but never played it, but sounds and looke great.

5. JohnBarr

JohnBarr

Mar 19, 2004
    Central NY
    Fender issued a P-bassSpecial a couple yrs ago. The ones I've seen have a gold anno pick guard and retail for just under $600. P body, J neck, P/J pups
    IMHO these are fine guitars. I recently played darn near every bass on the wall in the local Daddys and it blew everything else away for tone, balance, and neck.

I don't want to come off sounding like I've been around the world. I'm not a pro player, but I do annoy most of the local shops regularly and play everything I can get my hands on.
    If I had the $$ I'd be on one of these like white on rice. I think they may be one of the best buys out there in that price range.

John

6. oldrocker

oldrocker

Feb 13, 2005
    Long Island, NY

P Bass Special

New ones are Active. Mine is Passive.