1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

P Bass Split/Placement?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by nillawaffa, Jun 10, 2012.

1. Hey guys, I'm currently having a custom bass build by Callowhill. It's essentially going to be a 5 string Pino inspired P Bass. It'll be a real beautiful bass and I'll post pictures all over the place when I get it this fall. However, I've been talking to a lot of bassists lately about how Tim Cloonan (builder of Callowhill basses) positions his P bass pickups, and no one has seen anything like it. He puts a slight gap between the two pickups and says it gives the tone a little extra fatness. I'm really excited to get my hands on it and test it out myself. He built me an incredible 70's jazz bass last year and i was so happy with it, I told Tim to build me a 5 string pino-ish p bass, and just do whatever he wants to it!
    Anyway, I'm wondering if any of you have seen anything like this p bass pickup configuration and what you think it will sound like.

image-331755560.jpg

2. Oobly

Oobly

Jun 19, 2008
    Will have a bigger difference between the low and high strings. The low strings will sound fatter and warmer compared to the high strings, the highs will sound brighter.

Personally, I much prefer a reverse P setup since it provides better string balance, both tonally and volume-wise. It warms up the high strings and gives a bit more definition to the lows. Also, the position of the pickup relative to the chord length is more consistent (low string bridges further back than high).

3. Klonk

Klonk

Apr 28, 2011
    Norway
    Interesting. My dream build bass would be a 5 string Pino-wannabe bass made by Sandberg, so this question is highly relevant for me too. I have little experience myself with P-basses in general, so I won't do any guessing, I'll leave more experienced TB members to comment.

4. Yeah, thanks for the insight. I'm really curious to see how the pickups interact with each other as well. I really just put a lot of trust in Tim that he knows what he's doing because he did such a great job with my jazz bass. I've played a lot of great basses, but the thing that impressed me about the callowhill was the low B. It is so well balanced with the rest of the strings. Most of the 5 strings I've played in the past seemed like the B was an afterthought.

Anyway, back on topic...

Yes! I'm hoping more people chime in. I have recently (in the past 2 years) really fallen in love the passive p bass sound. And like so many of you guys, pino has been a huge inspiration to my development as a musician. So, I talked to Tim about building me a pino tribute. It'll be a little different; 5 strings, matching fiesta red headstock and the pickup spacing. But, you guys will be able to tell where the inspiration came from :)