P-Bass string spacing.....Confused

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Rockbobmel, Aug 4, 2009.

1. :confused:

I am putting a P-Bass together and it seems that there are two widths at the nut. a 1 3/4 AND 1 11/16. Right? When I put mu Jazz together it was 1 1/2. Now the prob is, when I put on a gotoh 201 on the Jazz, the bridge spacing was too narrow. I had to put on a BAII to get the proper spacing. Is the P-Bass gonna be even wider? I already gave the Gotoh and a bent plate bridge that is 3/4 spacing between strings, but that's the same as the Gotoh, Right? I remember the Fender bridges had a sort of (threading) on the bridge saddles so you could space it right. Can I get replacement saddles for the bent plate? I would like to use it, or even the Gotoh.

Thanks Much, Bob

2. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    There have been P basses made with 1 1/2, 1 5/8, 1 11/16, and 1 3/4" nuts.

The good news is that the spacing at the nut is far enough from the spacing at the bridge that it really doesn't matter as long as you like the feel of the neck and as long as the strings aren't too close to the edge of the fretboard down by the neck heel (wide bridge spacing, narrow neck).

As far as brands, you can't usefully say "same as Gotoh" or whatever because each brand has also made different string spacings in their product lines.

Your best bet is to buy/use a bridge that has the spacing you like; and since the P neck will usually be a fraction of an inch wider than a J neck, there will be zero problems.

3. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    a P pickup will usually not need as wide a bridge spacing as a J.

4. lug

lug Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    To reiterate, the bridge spacing on the P and J basses are exactly the same, they use the same stock bridge.

5. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    Yep, until around 1983 the Precison and Jazz bass used the exact same bridge, regardless of the neck width. And after that, the string spacing at the bridge was the same, they just had a different bridge for the Jazz for a while.

John

6. Thanks Guys!

John, Can I use your quote on my email signatures?

"Without space, music is just noise piling up on itself"

7. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    OH YES INDEED!!! I think it's the very first lesson every musician should learn. And to be correct, I'm only quoting T.R Kelly, a wonderfully witty woman who posts on The Bottom Line. She put it in one of her TBL posts, and it was just perfect!

John

8. Nice! Thanks Much, Bob

9. Steveaux

Steveaux Safe-Guardian of the Stoopid Supporting Member

Jul 1, 2008
    The Wilds of NW Pa.
  10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 24, 2021