Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

P Bass "Thwack!"

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Subculture13, Dec 14, 2004.

1. Subculture13

Subculture13 Jamming Econo

Apr 9, 2003
    Toronto, Ont. Canada
    I have played/owned a few different P basses (not all Fender) over the years and some were able to produce this great "thwack" type of sound when I hit them really hard when playing fingerstyle. Not all of them were able to get that sound however. (The best actually came from an Ibanez Roadstar P bass style)

I am shopping around for a new bass, and I have decided that it will be a P bass, and I am hunting for ones that can produce this characteristic sound. I will most likely pick up a bass based solely on what looks and feels right to me, so if the tone isn't 100% there I have no problem changing pickups.

So my question to you all then is.... What P style pickup's can produce this tone, or maybe more specifically, what is it about some that were able to get this, and others that couldn't?

I did observe that no active bass got it (though I only tried one active P, so this may not be fair)

I suspect that it might in part be output based (hotter output) as the sound is only really there when I hit the bass hard, but it could also be a characteristic of P basses and just plain hitting them that hard.

Thoughts or suggestions?

2. Hmmm.

Is it a P sound or is it just the strings hitting the pickup?

Just curious.

3. Subculture13

Apr 9, 2003
    Toronto, Ont. Canada
    Not hte strings hitting the pickup, I thought that too at first, its jsut this cool sounds that it seems only a P makes when hit hard. Though if I REALLY hit my jazz bass hard, I have heard it a touch on that, so it may not be exclusive to a P bass, but certainly way easier to get on one.

4. jim primate

jim primate bass guitarist.

maybe it has more to do with how the bass is setup. like maybe basses with lower action get that "thwack."

5. Subculture13

Apr 9, 2003
    Toronto, Ont. Canada
    Very possible, I'll have to experiment with that idea a little.