Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

p bass to 5 string conversion?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by basss, Aug 27, 2001.

1. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    Has anyone out there converted a p bass to a 5 string? I am tinkering with the idea but am not quite sure of a couple things. I know that string spacing will be tight but I think I can deal with this. If you have done this what bridge did you use? Where exactly did you drill on the peghead for the extra tuning key? Any other relavent info appreciated. Thanks

2. I don't know if there would be enought room on a 4 string neck? But then again i basicaly just told some one in the Minuture spray booth thread how to make a bomb, with out even knowing it:eek:

3. lowfreqguy

lowfreqguy

Oct 18, 2000
    I converted a P Bass to a five string about ten years ago. I found a conversion kit that had a replacement bridge with a tuner for the D string. It had a replacement string tree that became the anchor for the ball end of the D string. I just had to cut a new nut and had myself a tightly spaced fiver. It was cool because it wasn't a permanent modification. I haven't seen that type of conversion kit in forever. I would recommend saving your bucks and buying a proper five string. I never could get past that tight string spacing. Happy hunting.

4. That kit referred to would have been a Wilkinson, they were never popular because of the tight string spacing, but the concept of them was good.

5. *eyes you off beadily and whispers* "what type of bomb....... SSHHH!! the basses have ears...... I have a plan to blow up JT's post count......"

:D:D

Merls

6. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone