1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

p-bass tone control

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by seanm, Mar 14, 2004.

p-bass tone control

Poll closed Mar 28, 2004.
  1. Always full on (clockwise)

23 vote(s)
    39.7%
  2. I actually use my tone control

34 vote(s)
    58.6%
  3. I have upgraded my tone control

1 vote(s)
    1.7%
  1. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Assuming you have a stock p-bass 250k tone control, do you ever move it off the "fully clockwise" position. If so, when and why?

2. Woodboy

Woodboy

Jun 9, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    I hate the clicking of the strings hitting the frets. I have an Aero in my handmade P-style bass. Aero's have a more extended frequency response than most. I have a .022uF cap on the 250K tone control and find if I roll it off 10-15%, I can eliminate the fretting noise.

3. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    i turn completely open when playng with the band. when i practice home, i use the P with tone control halfway. sometimes under jamerson influence i totally close the tone .

4. I actually use it either full on full off or midway.

5. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I use most of the range on mine. I recently instaled a set of EMG's to replace some bartolini's, and I love the differece. I want some of the brightness that EMG's can bring out with that tight bottom. On slower songs where the notes are long and sustained, I usually roll 3/4 to all the way down. Most songs I have it about 8-10, letting all the brightness thru. 8 is good for quieting the "clack".

6. drd07

drd07

Jan 19, 2003
    I use the tone control depending on the songs I play. Some songs require a good thud - tone control all the way down. Others need something a little brighter. For those, I turn the tone control all the way up and play behind the pickup towards the bridge. It gives it a brighter, somewhat jazzy type of tone. With the single tone control, and eq'ing your amp, the precision can be very versatile.

7. Either full on while playing with a pick (for punk sound) or fully off for playing with fingers/pick (for ska/dub stuff.)

8. Set to "11".
    I disconnected my tone control.

9. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Keeping in mind that my P is strung with flats and is typically used for blues or rock material, I usually have the tone set at 40-50% if I want a darker tone, and at 90% if I want more highs.

10. I find that while it can sound too bright with the tone wide open when I'm playing by myself, when I've used a P Bass in a band, it sounds great all the way up, or mostly all the way up.

11. I use it to mess around, but it's almost always on full.

12. Depends what P im using. If its my hot-rod then i use it. But if its one of my other P's i usually keep it full up.

13. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    For rock I keep it full up, for country on about half.

14. I use my P bass in a few classic R&B tunes, and set the control at 75%. :bassist:

15. PolkaHero

PolkaHero

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    I usually have the tone rolled all the way off. I can't stand the sound of a Precision with the tone all the way up. Maybe for punk or picked tones it's all right, but it's not the sound I'm after. Totally different instrument based on how the tone control is set. Who needs active bass bells and whistles? I do have a G&L L-2000, BTW.

16. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    I keep mine all the way down all the time. When I use my P it's because i need/want a darker sounding bass.

17. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Vol (P), Vol (J), active/passive switch, 3 band EQ. My bass and treble go up for slap, treble way down (16db of boost/cut, it's a long way down) for motown, completely passive for fingerstyle, volume all the way up. As of now, I'm not using the J pup at all, because it needs to have the ground and the hot wires flipped so the sound is all...funky (and not the good kind) when I've got both pups up.

18. My tone comes mainly from my fingers and the location in relation to the pickup of where I'm playing. Its taken about two years to finally get the sweet tone Ive been looking for. Iv'e had the same set of flatwound strings, and have only broken the G a few times. Normally I play bass lines close to the neck, and throw in a few chords with a strum down by the bridge... I guess its not very versatile for various styles of music, But it does what I need/want it to do.. so Im happy.

19. What does the tone control really do? (n00b)

20. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    For the last few years for gigs I have been running the tone anywhere from about 1/3 of the way on to all the way off.

I do run it wide open when recording.