1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

P bass tone control

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by HMZ, Mar 30, 2006.

1. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    USA-Mineola
    Where do you set your tone control knob on your P bass? I usually set mine from 1/3 to ½ depending if I want more thump or to cut though the mix.

2. morf

morf Banned

Feb 17, 2006
    1/4th or so, I like my sound as round as possible

3. metron

metron Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2003
    Denver
    i find that any position is useful depending on what sound im going for.

4. cowsgomoo

cowsgomoo gone to Longstanton Spice Museum

Feb 8, 2003
    UK
    wide open

5. bstringrandy

bstringrandy Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2004
    Jacksonville, FL
    +1 on wide open! I get other the other variations by changing the right hand position in regards to the bridge and pickups. :)

6. dave120

dave120

Jun 27, 2005
    Central Florida
    +2

After fiddling with all the volume blends and tone settings and everything I switched to just going to everything wide open all the time and adjust my playing style to suit what I need. This includes using a pick or fingers, playing over the bridge or neck pickup, attack style, etc. As difficult as that sounds, I find it easier to do that than to try and find the right knob settings for each song.

7. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    Depends on the song and/or style. Dub style, rolled off completely. Harder stuff, about 1/2 way. I don't have good enough control of my fingerstyle dynamics to open it up all the way. I'm kind of a hack - just being honest.

8. I always dimed the volume and tone on my P, so after 10 years of doing that, somebody said "why don't you just wire it direct?"
    Good question...
    I went home, wired the pickups to the jack, and never looked back. I have DiMarzio SplitP pickups in mine and they are hot hot hot just like I like 'em, and they sound awesome without the pots...
    C7

9. Sergio

Sergio

Apr 7, 2004
    Lafitte, LA
    Tone control? PFFFT! Who needs that thing? I don't even have a volume knob! ;)

10. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    This depends on lots of variables, but the pickup has a big impact. With the stock Fender, I rolled off the tone 25-50% almost all the time. With the heavily overwound Duncan Hot for P-bass, I play with it wide open most of the time, but I'll roll it off up to about a third depending on how my rig is interacting with the room, how the tweeter is set, etc.

11. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    +1.