P Bass tone in a 5 string?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by BillyB_from_LZ, Nov 6, 2005.

1. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    I LOVE P Bass tone!

My main bass is a Hoyt/Warmoth J5. It has a custom made Karl Hoyt neck and Warmoth swamp ash body. I currently have it loaded with EMG J pups.

It's a wonderful instrument...I have played basses costing $thousands and they don't have the feel or tone that this one does (to my ears anyway).

However...I'd like to be able to get P bass tone out of it.

I'm not opposed to routing the body for a new pickup shape if it will get me where I want to be.

Does anyone make a commercially available 5 string P Bass pickup? Either traditional Split Coil or Soapbar style would be great.

To complicate matters a bit, the P Bass tone I'm looking for would be similar to what I get with my 4 string P Bass which features a DiMarzio Will Power Middle pup...very much in-your-face mids...

Thanks for your help!
  2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
  3. Doesn't Duncan offer something from the Custom Shop in 5-string?

I gave up on 5er's for several reasons, and this is one of them.

What about a BEAD bass instead?
  4. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004

a WillPower has some strange quality to it. The Model P wasn't that far off. Don't know if DM has a Model P in 5 string. At any rate, even a Willpower in your 5 may not sound as much like the WillPower in your 4 as a different P would.

Nord these days seems to be the rising standard so probably a good probability shot. But if you don't want to spend the coin and aren't in any hurry, you can watch ebay for used 5 P's that come up then search the net for reviews on them. If they came out of a given bass, you can go to harmonycentral.com and read what owners have to say about the bass. If the bass gets good reveiws in the sound section and sound like something you'd want to check out, then give a go. When it comes right down to it, pup tone is trial and error.

Rerouting the bass is probably not a good idea - you'll be dealing with the same thing just with a different shaped pup.
  5. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    I found split coils to sound rather P like to me. I assume that's because having 2 coils in series makes it that much closer to a P pup than a J. I'm also a firm believer in pup placement and think getting the location right is more important than the right kind of pup.
  6. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    My Lull P-5 has custom Bassline P-5 pickup.
    Great sounding passive pickup.