1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

P-Bass tone in a J-style pickup chassis?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Peter Lufrano, May 4, 2010.

1. Peter Lufrano

Peter Lufrano Blues. and nothing but the Blues. Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Berkeley, CA
    Hi All,

Is there such a beast?

I have a Jazz bass that I love the feel of, but I don't play it as often as it deserves (because my other Jazz is EVEN better!)

If it were possible, I would like to approximate a good P-bass tone from the bass, rather than use an actual p-bass (which just don't feel as good to me).

Is there a j-style pickup, that sounds like a p-bass pickup?

I realize that the stock jazz pickup placement will not give the same tone, so I would need to address that as well in making and modifications to the bass.

Many thanks in advance for any and all thoughts and experiences!

2. Buchada Azeda

Buchada Azeda

Mar 25, 2009
    Brazil
    Maybe some barts? They're really mellow and warm. IMO, with some EQing you can get a decent P bass impersonation out of a J with Bartolinis.

3. Arvin

Arvin Underwound Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2008
    On the bench
    I've never tried this myself, but a lot of folks around here report P-bass-ish tones from a J-bass by installing a series/parallel switch and running it in series. That's a very inexpensive mod, which, if you use a push-pull pot to achieve it, requires no drilling, carving, or other surgery to the bass.

You might want to do some searches on series vs. parallel and see what you think.

Good luck with it.

4. topcat2069

topcat2069

Dec 2, 2007
    Palm Springs
    In the past, I used S.D.s Classic stacks to get "that P-Bass Sound" in my opinion it was "only" close, but a good close :meh:

5. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I get a good enough P tone from my Bart neck pup with the treble rolled off a little.

6. heavyfunkmachin

heavyfunkmachin

Jan 21, 2005
    i've done this... an it gets very close, but still its no t a p-bass... since the bridge pickup gets the higher harmonics you woudnt get in a p-bass pickup due to placement... i've seen SOMEWHERE a jazz pickup that smade of 2 individual pickups like the p-bass pickup... i guess that will get you closer...

the series parallel mod is easy and cheap... so try it!! i really like the tone and frequenly use the slight volume bump as trick to get louder when gui****s are steping on my toes.

7. guroove

guroove

Oct 13, 2009
    Buffalo, NY
    Dimarzio Model J

8. Peter Lufrano

Apr 18, 2004
    Berkeley, CA
    Thanks guys! Any other experiences with this?

9. jmvc4fe.

Delano.

I have these in my Clover XP bass. In the P-position, it sounds Precision like. They are in line humbuckers, one coil for the E and A string; one for the D and G.

10. enemybass

enemybass

Jan 3, 2008
    london
    +10,000

11. Double Agent

Double Agent

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    I used to have a Fender Am Dlx Jazz bass loaded with SCN pickups. With the neck pickup soloed, EQ used to slightly boosted bass and mids and slightly cut treble, it would do a very passable P-bass impression.

No soloed Jazz neck pickup will sound EXACTLY like a P-bass, I don't care how the coils are split, EQed, configured, etc. However, in a recorded/live mix, it would be almost impossible to tell the difference between a properly EQd Jazz neck p/u and a P-bass.

12. Billy3000

Billy3000

Dec 18, 2008
    Those Delano pickups that someone posted above look interesting. I routed my MIM jazz to accomodate a p bass pickup, and got a new pickguard made by warmoth for it. It sounds awesome, I get the same setup as a P bass special but in a jazz body. I love it.

13. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    +1 for split coil, boosted bass and mids, cut treble.

14. birminghambass

birminghambass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    I've been trying this for years. Last month I gave up and got a P bass. Heaven....

15. moonshinegtrs

moonshinegtrs Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 28, 2009
    White Bluff,Tn.
    Owner: Moonshine Custom Guitars
    Or just do this:
    100_0752.
    (Warmoth body & paint). I've since changed out the control plate to a Stack knob version (three holes instead of four) so now there is just a vol/tone.

Moonshine :bassist:

16. Peter Lufrano

Apr 18, 2004
    Berkeley, CA
    Thanks guys.

No that is the rub: I have a very nice p-bass, a Lakland USA "Glaub" with the J.O. (Jazz) neck.
    The issue I have is not with my left hand.

My issue is I feel uncomfortable with my right, plucking hand.
    I am so used to my Jazz basses, it feel very awkward to my right hand playing the pbass.....

17. Di Marzio Ultra Jazz. THe Model J was just too dark. In a band mix I really like 'em.