P-Bass Tone Knobs Dont turn "smooth" anymore?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by cire113, Oct 12, 2011.

1. cire113

cire113

Apr 25, 2008
    Basically the Tone Knobs on my fender p-bass turn without nice "resistance" they had when i bought them.. Now they turn really loose and its kinda of annoying...Everything still works and stuff but I really wish they would turn smooth with that nice resistance again..

How do i fix? Im probably going to bring it into a luthier so the instructions would probably be helpful to him.. Thanks

2. A guy can't logically call himself a luthier if he hasn't seen and repaired this problem several times - even in the past week.

If he needs tips from a bass online site - find another so-called luthier --- F A S T !

3. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

Jan 13, 2008
    Is it the knob itself or the poll piece? Try tightening the knob's screw first to see if that's the source of your problem.

4. JLS

JLS

Sep 12, 2008
    Albuquerque, NM
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    My bet is that your tone pot has, "worn in".

You can buy more expensive pots, oil-filled and so on, but you're going to be paying a lot, for this.

5. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Inactive Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    The resistance is actually some grease they put in the pot. I like the smooth feeling ones too, but lately the trend is towards low friction pots, like the Bourns guitar pots. They turn very freely and feel kind of scratchy to me.

You just need to find a few pot that feels smooth. Unfortunately I have no recommendations for you as far as brands.

6. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    regular allparts flatback CTS pots (not the "vintage" type with the spindle poking through the back) are fairly stiff, and don't really "wear in" to totally loose that i've seen.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021