1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

P bass tone out of a J bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by toniwonkanobi, Sep 29, 2008.

1. toniwonkanobi

toniwonkanobi Supporting Member

May 23, 2008
    Northern California
    Endorsing 1964 Ears, LLC.
    I just bought an 08 american standard jazz. really great bass. Sometimes, i feel like i could really use some fatty p bass sounds for some gospel/R&B music. How can i get a p bass tone from my jazz?

2. the simple answer is buy a P bass! The pickups are wired differently, so you will never get an exact P bass sound from a jazz. Some people suggest just using the front pickup, but I tend to have both on because I like that 'growl' sound. Otherwise maybe try tweaking with your head.

3. +1

4. EQ, neck pup, maybe roll off the tone knob a bit. Moving your right hand up a bit helps too.

5. S1-switching is said to be capable of doing that.

6. YCBass

YCBass Supporting Member

Aug 29, 2007
    SoCal
    +1. I get a pretty decent imitation P sound from my Lull M5V (5 string J copy)... I solo the neck p/u and roll off the tone and pluck a little softer to make it fatter.

You can never truly get that sound without the split pickup, IMO... But you can get close - a J can imitate a P, but not vice versa!

7. southshoreconor

southshoreconor

Oct 30, 2007
    The Road
    Endorsing Artist: Fender Musical Instruments, SIT strings
    not on an 08.

8. BigMac5

BigMac5

Nov 26, 2005
    San Diego, CA
    it's a very easy mod to do.

9. nickn

nickn

Oct 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I too just bought an 08 Jazz. I am (used to be) strictly a P-bass kinda guy. I'm kinda disappointed at the fact that I can't really get a ballsy P-bass tone out of my new J. This is as close as I can get to the tone of my P:

Neck pickup on full
    Bridge pickup about 3/4 of the way rolled off
    Tone knob about 1/4 rolled off.

Give it a try! :)

10. Dimarzio Model J.

P-style Humbucker under a J pup. Bass Guitar magazine dubbed it "The Marshall Killer" a while back b/c of its' lower midrange being so nice and dirty.

Listen to it here:

http://www.vial-family.ch/bass/

11. BigMac5

BigMac5

Nov 26, 2005
    San Diego, CA
    +1

12. Turn pickups in series, like S1 switch on fenders

13. Or get this Jazz!! :D:rolleyes:

View attachment 104088

Fender Reggie Hamilton Jazz!! Damn it sounds nice!

But- I agree w/ the S1- this mod to a jazz sounds pretty P-bass like! & is easy to do!