1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

P-bass tone pot replacement

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by JoakimKr, Dec 20, 2016.

1. I think my Fender 58' Avri P-bass needs a new tone pot. It suddenly stops working. I stays at "full" or "open" (100% tone) no matter what. If i turn it up or down it makes a scratching sound and doesn't work at all. If I knock it and wrestle with it, it sometimes starts acting normal, but that doesn't last for long.
    Is there an easy fix, or do i need a new one? If i need a new one, do you have any suggestions for a fun replacement, like Stellartone or something?

Last edited: Dec 21, 2016
  2. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    If it doesn't come to life with a quick spray of De-Oxit, just replace it. It's a ten minute job (most of which is removing pickguard screws) and three or four solder joints.

JoakimKr likes this.
  3. Rezdog

Rezdog Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    T.Rez, Canada
    Greetings from the North,

Check out the Stellartone. It just opens up some great tonal options that you wouldn't think possible from a passive Precision. I got one with the thought that I could pull it out and sell it if I didn't like it. It's going to stay in the bass that I've got it in. It sounds great.

Rezdog

JoakimKr likes this.
  4. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    The Stellartone was cool, and maybe it was because i put it on a jazz bass, but i never felt like i could find the tone i wanted. I'm sure it was me but i always felt like what i wanted was somewhere between the presets. I'm sure it was a subjective thing but it was enough for me to finally give it a pass. There is also the fact it was an early model and only had six presets IIRC. Seems like i recently read they are up to nine or maybe twelve presets now?

JoakimKr likes this.
  5. Sounds like your potentiometer wiper or resistance pad is shot. Easy replacement. 250K Audio taper in series with .1, .068, or .047mfd cap to ground.

JoakimKr likes this.