1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

P bass under 8 lbs ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by p12bassnut, May 6, 2019.

1. p12bassnut

p12bassnut Be wierd

Aug 27, 2009
    Somewhere
    Is there a "Fender" or similar P that actually weighs under 8lbs that does not cost
    more than $800 and sounds great to boot ?
    34” scale 4 string

Last edited: May 6, 2019
  2. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    If you can find a used one, a US made Peavey Fury is a great P bass alternative and can usually be found for under $300. Very well made, sweet neck and the weight is around 8 lb or less. I haven't weighed mine but it's certainly lighter than my MIM P bass.
    If you're not adverse to having both a P bass and Jazz pickup ie. a PJ, there are a few options like the G&L Tribute SB-2 which is active - Ibanez SR600 or SR700 (not sure of the weight of these but they're Ibanez, so usually light basses) also active.

SpruceApple, jmlee, MCF and 1 other person like this.
  3. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    Some Squier CV70P has less than 8lbs.

drumvsbass likes this.
  4. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    There isn't a line of precision basses out there that's characteristically under eight pounds. You're gonna have to hunt for one and hope you find it.

5. MyMusic

MyMusic

Jun 1, 2010
    Dover, De
    I have a 2012Fender MIM Precision that weighs 7 lbs. 11 oz. Just happened to find it a couple of years ago. Feels great!!!!! $650.00

Last edited: May 6, 2019
  6. GretschWretch

GretschWretch Supporting Member

Dec 27, 2013
    East Central Alabama
    The import Glarrys, et al, are. In fact, the norms for them are under seven pounds. There are plenty of reviews on TB.

7. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Interesting. Never heard of them.

8. GretschWretch

GretschWretch Supporting Member

Dec 27, 2013
    East Central Alabama
    Basses of this type have been around a couple of years, under various badges. Glarry is about the last badge standing, and they are expanding their product line to other instruments.

9. hypercarrots

hypercarrots

Jan 28, 2009
    los angeles
    how light are the fender lytes?

10. bassdude51

bassdude51 "You never even called me by my name." Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2008
    Central Ohio
    I found a light weight body at Warmoth (3 lbs 8 oz) added alloy tuners, neck plate, knobs and ended up with a 7 lbs 4 oz P Bass. If I switched out the pickup with an Alumnitone pickup, dump the knobs, go every other pickguard screw, go 3 bridge screws instead of 5, go 3 screws per Res O Lite tuner instead of 4, get rid of the tone pot and just go volume only................ I might get 'er down to about 6 lbs 12 oz.

Almost feel like I'm trying to make a light weight racing bicycle.

11. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    6.6 pounds:
    Tiger.jpg

Warmoth wood (they have bodies that you can buy, knowing the weight of the body) - you're looking for one under 4 pounds. Roasted Maple neck, graphite reinforcing rods (not steel). ALL hardware is aluminum - neck plate and knobs included. It's not hard to make a bass that's under 8 pounds, so long as you control every piece that goes into it. Buying one under 8 pounds is harder in general, but if you look on Sweetwater, they list the weights of basses over a certain price ($300 or something, I think)

12. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    One of your best bets is a used MIM Fender Roadworn. In general they are excellent instruments and very light.

Since you have a specific budget be ready to drop another $100 on Hipshot Ultralite or Gotoh Res-O-Lite tuners. Many sub 8lb basses are neck heavy and need lightweight tuners to achieve better balance.

13. drumvsbass

drumvsbass

Aug 20, 2011
    Winnipeg
    that is a nice lookin' bass dude.

Bart Lee and Vinny Vincenzo like this.
  14. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    Thanks.

15. nilorius

nilorius Suspended

Oct 27, 2016
    Riga - Latvia
    No p bass sounds great.....my own opinion.

16. mbell75

mbell75

May 23, 2016
    You came into a thread about P basses just to say you don't like the sound of a P bass? Nice trolling.

oldandbold, cratz2, j.albert and 9 others like this.
  17. nilorius

nilorius Suspended

Oct 27, 2016
    Riga - Latvia
    Yeah, thanks.

superpanget2 likes this.
  18. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    No P model will be guaranteed to be under 8 pounds. Frankly, my suggestion is to buy the pieces yourself and look at the weight of the body. You will have to do the finish work on the body and neck yourself, but it will be worth it. Several years ago, I did a build of a '51 P. Even with an upgraded pickup, the cost was around $600.

19. Bodeanly

Bodeanly

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    I have an old Squier P that is 6 lbs. I feel like Superman when I pick it up.