Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

P-Bass Upgrades

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MotoClip, Apr 29, 2003.

1. Hello everyone. Recently I have been trying to narrow down what new bass I wanted to get, and I have come to the conclusion of gettin a Fender MIM P-Bass and puttin some modifications on it to make it better. So far I plan on getting Seymour Duncan Qtr Pounder pickups and a Gotoh 201 Bridge. Also a few things to make it look better. In case your wondering, I'm not rich which is why I'm not buying an American P-Bass, and I'm goin for good priced upgrades too. Anyways, I wanted to ask for opinions on what I'm doing, I like the P-Bass sound and I've always liked my Fender, but should I forget about what I'm doing and get some other cheap bass, would you recommend other pickups, bridges, etc., or should I just buy alot of butterfingers? (Yumm) By the way the price of the bass plus the modifications will cost a little less than $500 bucks (around $480), which is where I'd like to stay in price. Thanks.

2. Raven Labs retro-fit P-bass preamp!

3. darkspec

darkspec

Jan 2, 2003
    Cleveland Ohio
    Id like to know more about this pre-amp. Are the batteries hard to change? Is it worth 90 dollars? Does the brass color blend well with the silver stuff? Any Pics, more info!!! lol

4. Tumbao

Tumbao

Nov 10, 2001
    FL
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    :rolleyes: You can get a solid Fender style bridge replacement. Looks the differences.

5. Tumbao

Tumbao

Nov 10, 2001
    FL
    My vote is for Dimarzio DP-127 pickup model.

6. turkish

turkish Guest

Jul 14, 2002
    FCCAUSA, or here
    i have the raven labs p in my mij p, it gives the basss an amzing amount of output and some great tones, it's quite easy to install and as long as you have osme knobs (volume tone) you can't tell it's there, i havne't had to change the batteris yet and i've ebnn playing it for 5 or months. i highly reccomend it

Here's the specs of the P, my teacher is in love with it and his stable consists of lakalnds and foderas

87' mij p bass 329$
    badass II 50$
    SD quarter pndr 50$
    raven labs pre 90$
    hipshot dtuner 90$

total about 610$

althogu this is more than 500$ it was well worth it, i feel like i'll never need another P

7. n8g14

n8g14

Apr 1, 2003
    MotoClip,
    I'm in pretty much the same situation as you-I'm looking for an MIM pbass to do some upgrades to because I don't have enough cash for an American. I'm interested in what kinds of things you're doing to yours to change the looks. Any ideas are helpful for me.

8. turkish

turkish Guest

Jul 14, 2002
    FCCAUSA, or here
    try and get a mij p instead of a mim if possible, onebay they're about the same price and i thnik the fit and finish of the mij's are better