1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

P-bass variants

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mandude, Sep 2, 2000.

1. Mandude

Mandude

Apr 19, 2000
    I saw the P-bass fan club thread, and I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on the ups and downs of the all the p-bass variants out there. I'm thinking the Hot rodded and MIA Deluxe specifically, but hey, this is a p-bass friendly thread so all models are welcome.

2. Rumblin' Man

Rumblin' Man Banned

Apr 27, 2000
    Route 66
    Since you asked, I'm a fan of the single coil style of P bass. I'd have to say that my favorite P bass is the '54-56 style, with the contoured body, single coil pickup, and large pickguard.

Close behind are the other single coil variants. The '51-'54, the MIJ '51 RI, and the early Telebass.

My favorite "humbucking" P bass is a lightweight ash bodied, early '70's P with an "A" neck.

3. One thing to keep in mind is that some of the variants have smaller bodies than the standards. My MIA Precision Deluxe Plus has a slightly scaled body and 2 additional frets. The neck is a quality B series. The active Lace Sensors and additional J pup expand the versatility immensely. I also like the fact that they aren't on every street corner.

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Hey 'bone ... I think we have P-Bass Deluxes of a similar vintage. Mine's a '93. They stopped putting the Lace sensors in them shortly after that. If I were going to get another P-Bass, I'd get the MIA Deluxe 5. It's probably one of the most "versatile" made.

5. Craig H

Craig H

Mar 23, 2000
    Kansas City
    I have one in Sunset Orange Transparent and I love the tone the J-pickup adds.

Craig

6. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    I like the American Deluxe model, especially the 5 string. That humbuckers hot. I never used to like P bass till my brother forced me to listen to an Elvis tune, for the time that dudes sound was hot. My next 5 strings gonna be the mia deluxe pbass.