P-bass variants

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mandude, Sep 2, 2000.

1. Mandude

Apr 19, 2000
    I saw the P-bass fan club thread, and I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on the ups and downs of the all the p-bass variants out there. I'm thinking the Hot rodded and MIA Deluxe specifically, but hey, this is a p-bass friendly thread so all models are welcome.
  2. Rumblin' Man

Rumblin' Man Banned

Apr 27, 2000
    Route 66
    Since you asked, I'm a fan of the single coil style of P bass. I'd have to say that my favorite P bass is the '54-56 style, with the contoured body, single coil pickup, and large pickguard.

Close behind are the other single coil variants. The '51-'54, the MIJ '51 RI, and the early Telebass.

My favorite "humbucking" P bass is a lightweight ash bodied, early '70's P with an "A" neck.
  3. One thing to keep in mind is that some of the variants have smaller bodies than the standards. My MIA Precision Deluxe Plus has a slightly scaled body and 2 additional frets. The neck is a quality B series. The active Lace Sensors and additional J pup expand the versatility immensely. I also like the fact that they aren't on every street corner.
  4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Hey 'bone ... I think we have P-Bass Deluxes of a similar vintage. Mine's a '93. They stopped putting the Lace sensors in them shortly after that. If I were going to get another P-Bass, I'd get the MIA Deluxe 5. It's probably one of the most "versatile" made.
  5. Craig H

Craig H

Mar 23, 2000
    Kansas City
    I have one in Sunset Orange Transparent and I love the tone the J-pickup adds.

6. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    I like the American Deluxe model, especially the 5 string. That humbuckers hot. I never used to like P bass till my brother forced me to listen to an Elvis tune, for the time that dudes sound was hot. My next 5 strings gonna be the mia deluxe pbass.