1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

P Bass vs. J Bass (Not what you think!)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by IotaNet, Apr 20, 2010.

1. I don't know if this has been posted but it's a video featuring Jay Piccirillo, the Sr. Marketing Manager of Fender Bass Products and he explains his take on the genesis of, and the differences between, the Fender J and P.

As an aside, Jay is a really cool guy a bass player. His leadership is largely responsible for the improvements in the Fender and (especially!) Squier basses over the last few years. (And yes, I agree -- the introductory vignettes to this video are extremely annoying.)

2. P owns.

3. Rumblefisher

Rumblefisher

Aug 22, 2007
    Astoria, NY
    J sold it b/c it found something better. ;)

4. mas502arc

mas502arc

May 14, 2009
    Toronto, Canada
    Cool!But I wished they said all that PLUS did some playing in the end lol

That slap vs. karate chop analogy was a little bit sketchy to me, but all the power to him to bring both his J and P!

5. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I grow organic carrots and they are not for sale
    Strange non-musical analogies

6. Agreed :eyebrow:

7. Spencer!

Spencer!

Jun 25, 2006
    Seattle
    Owner, Pike Amplification & 3Leaf Audio
    "The jazz bass is more like a karate chop to the throat"

The other guy's reaction is priceless....

8. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Hmmmm

Kinda goofy. You turn off the bridge p'up on a J bass, and it sounds just like a P-bass.

9. I do not question that guy's credentials in any way, but that was the most nonsensical explanation on this topic I have ever heard. Cool video tho.

10. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    And sadly, The Perfect Bass is no longer an authorized Fender dealer...

11. Really? Whats up with that?

The TPB website is where I found that video -- just this evening.

12. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    Somebody mentioned (here on TB) the other day that they had gotten a killer deal on an Am. Std. Fender from TPB because they're no longer a Fender dealer. So they were "blowing out" their Fender inventory at very good prices.

It made me wonder because the last few times I clicked "Fender Precision" of "Fender Jazz" on their site, all that showed up were a few Duff McKagen models and maybe a couple Standards. I checked with them to see if they had anymore Am. Stds. They did not, but did verify that they are no longer a Fender authorized dealer. They didn't advertise the blowout sale because there was plenty of demand locally. They didn't say why it happened, and I didn't push the matter. But I thought it was kinda' sad...

13. jwoiton

jwoiton

Jun 21, 2005
    Dallas area
    I like both

14. Now that I think about it, I was there about a month ago looking at guitars and all the fenders were marked down.

15. Whaaaapsh

Whaaaapsh

Apr 23, 2006
    Portland, OR
    I don't know -- I actually thought the slap/chop analogy was pretty cool. Now if only the slap chop/sham wow guy was there...

Slap+Chop.

16. queevil

queevil

Aug 6, 2009
    Waco,TX
    Yeah that was kinda dumb. But it was still a cool vid.

17. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    Well, yes. But I did notice his endorsement of "the rule".

RULE: You can never own too many basses.

Fender guy: "Buy em both!"

18. Excellent video with a good description of Ps and Js. I prefer the analogy of the P-Bass being a muscle car and the J-Bass being a sports car.

19. Eric Swaim

Eric Swaim GOD, U.S. MIlitary, Country Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Murfreesboro, TN
    I like both as you can see in the picture.

mybasses.

20. Surly

Surly

Feb 2, 2007
    South Florida
    Well it sounds pretty close, ok very darn close... :)