Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

P-bass vs. Pseudo P-bass Clips

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by beam, Apr 30, 2005.

1. beam

beam

Dec 29, 2002
    Both samples recorded through the same amp, same eq settings.

The first one is that of an SX Precision bass with the tone knob on 10.

SX P-bass

The second is that of a Bartolini M34M pickup, which is a reverse split-coil Precision type pickup, in a sopabar housing.
    [​IMG]

Bart M34M

Now, to my ears they are indeed different, but only slightly. The SX has the tried-and-true precision tone, but the bartolini is damn close for being a reversed configuration and having a soapbar construction.

Just thought I'd share :)

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    man, that sx sounds good. The bart has a bit more lows, but I like the clarity of the SX.

3. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    I'm not too surprised. The fact that it's "reverse" doesn't change the sound very significantly - each half is not moved very far from where it would be otherwise. (with one pickup, location changes the sound a little. With two pickups, changing the distance between them changes things much more dramatically).

4. The SX definitely captures the P essense but the Barts do a good job of emulating. J pickups, full on neck pickup, can work well, too. Nothing compares to the original, though.

5. jusst for the sake of it, later on ill record my p-basses tone, its from about 4 different basses and i modded it with a seccond p bass pup on the neck, everything is no name brand except for the samick neck

6. Hey Heath,

That's an interesting comparision - the SX tone is certainly very nice - good P sounds there, the barts seem very similar as you mentioned, although a bit warmer.

What sort of bass has the Barts in it?

;)

7. beam

beam

Dec 29, 2002
    Schecter Stiletto Custom-4
    Originally had EMG HZ's and an active preamp. Zip, gone.
    This bart humbucker in the neck, and the bart M34C soapbar in the bridge. Ripped out the active preamp and put in all passive CTS 250K pots. Vol/Vol/Tone/3-way switch.

8. http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/heathsketchleymusic.htm

there we go...theres some clips of my p bass, with dead strings
    its a 1 peice maple neck, rosewood fingerboard, samick neck, with a laminate body (ihave no idea what the woods are) huge ass brass bridge, 2 p bass pups....wacky wiring which i did myself and is wierd

9. I hear a significant difference with the SX being far more clear sounding.

My workstation drives a 60w Yamaha stereo power amp, and a pair of 4-way 12" HPM-100 Pioneer stereo speakers.