P-bass vs Sterling size

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sparrows78, Feb 17, 2010.

1. Sparrows78

Sparrows78

Feb 17, 2010
    Sweden
    Hi all!

I currently own a Sandberg California PM4 (p-bass body) wich is a really great bass - high quality, great sounding and everything.
    But I find it a tad to big and heavy.

I like the sound of Stingrays and Sterlings(the latest beeing said to be small framed and fairly light) - but unfortunatelly, no local store holds them where I live.

If you compare a Sterling to a P-bass, is there a big difference in size?

All help is highly appreciated! :)

2. J0ttem

J0ttem

Oct 2, 2008
    The Netherlands
    AFAIK, I Sterling's body is around 20% smaller compared to the P Bass and it also has a skinnier, Jazz-like neck.

3. Bobster

Bobster

Mar 27, 2006
    Austin, TX
    I'd say 15 - 20% smaller, plus the skinnier neck profile.

Sterlings are definitely comfortable to hold and play.

4. Serek_Basses

Serek_Basses Supporting Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    I play Rics and P's and recently picked up a Sterling. The neck profile is very narrow, and while it isn't my favorite, (I prefer the 'tweeners like Rics) it is very comfortable and my short fat hands do not have to strain to get up and down the strings very quickly. As far as the body size, it is noticeably smaller, and the low notes are noticeably easier to reach, but that is nothing to complain about. It almost becomes an extension of your body after a while. Do not fear the Sterling!

5. Sparrows78

Sparrows78

Feb 17, 2010
    Sweden
    Thanks for all the fast answers!
    This definitely makes me want to try out the Sterling!

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 3, 2021