1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

P-Bass vs. StingRay - weight concerns

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jaywa, Sep 18, 2008.

1. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    Interested in hearing from people who have played both P-Basses and StingRays on how they compare on weight? (4-strings.)

I own a 78 P, and am thinking about a 2-pickup Ray (HS or HH), but may want to reconsider if the StingRays are appreciably heavier?

I know that for fatigue purposes it's not just weight per se but also balance... so if the Rays weigh more but are better balanced that would be good to know too.

Thanks

2. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    I guess it would be good to know what your '78 P weighs for comparison.
    Typically, that era Fenders are usually tanks at 10+ lbs.

My last SR4 HH weighed 10.2 lbs, and my last SR5 HH weighed 10.8 lbs. And the SR4 H single I still have weighs 8.3 lbs.

My '82 P weighs 10.8 lbs, and my '72 P weighs 7.5 lbs.

3. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    FWIW my '78 P is black, maple board, modded with EMG PJ pickups (9V) but I doubt those add any appreciable weight.

What I'm really getting at is, will I feel any more fatigued after a 4-set show with a Ray than with my P? I'm OK with the weight of my P but it's at the heavy end of my comfort zone and I'm not getting any younger. I expect whatever StingRay I buy will become my main "player" while the P gets retired to backup/spot duty so it's a pretty important consideration for me.

And just cause I'm curious... how the heck does an '82 P wind up weighing over 1/3 more than a '72? If anything I would have guessed the exact opposite.

4. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Well if your 78 P is like most typical ash body P's of that era, then you'll probably get a StingRay that is just a tad lighter.
    If you're buying locally, then take your P with you to compare.

My '82 P is made of the same northern ash as any fender of that era...heavy. While my '72 is made of light alder typical of the early stuff.

5. Ezbass

Ezbass

Apr 3, 2008
    U.K.
    I have found the 'Rays that I have owned have been significantly heavier than than my Ps. However, they are also much better balanced with little or no neck dive so that on the strap they feel more comfortable and centred. Use a good wide strap and you'll be set.