P Bass VS Tele Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by renown, Apr 27, 2005.

1. renown

Jan 5, 2005
    Should there be a big difference in the sound of a 67 P Bass VS a 68 Telecaster Bass ??
  2. not really...i love the telecaster basses more though :smug:
  3. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    I would think that there should be a hugh difference. Pick ups, neck, wood, finish, smell :smug:
  4. Kid Charlemagne

Kid Charlemagne

May 29, 2002
    Yes, there is a big difference!

The telecaster bass has a single coil pickup, which gives it a totally different sound from a precision, which has a split-coil pickup.

Also, the tele bass neck has a maple fretboard, and the precision would probably sport a rosewood one - this is also a major factor in sound.

And finally, the tele bass is stringed through the body, whereas the precision has a regular bridge - this gives a diferrence in sustain.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Fingerboard wood is one of the biggest factors in the sound of the bass so i would say it would be a big diffrence and of course the diffrence with pick ups.
  6. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    What he said!
    Get a Dirnt Bass, best of both worlds.
  7. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

IMO the pickup would make all the difference: the big bucker located towards the neck versus the split coil located in the middle.

As I recall, early Telecaster basses (don't know what years) had a single-coil pickup like the earliest Fender Precisions... that too would sound different than the split-coil.
  8. Kid Charlemagne

Kid Charlemagne

May 29, 2002
    A '68 Telecaster would not have the big humbucker IIRC.
  9. Kid Charlemagne

Kid Charlemagne

May 29, 2002
    But a Dirnt bass is essentially a precision, since it doesn't have neither the single coil nor the string-though bridge (instead it has a Badass one!)
  10. I like my Dirnt...Tele look, precision sound...and a great one at that.
  11. CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
  12. i dont like the dirnt, id rather go the '51 p reissue, the sting, or find a tele
  13. Very nice Dirnt. I tried to attach a photo of mine (2-tone sunburst), but I'm having issues.
    The best thing about the Dirnt is: They sound even better than they look!

I have also played the 51' reissue and the Sting. The '51 is great, I almost bought one, but I liked the Dirnt better. The '51 is probably the closest thing to a '68 Tele though.

All these instruments are very cool.