1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

P Bass VS Tele Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by renown, Apr 27, 2005.

1. renown

renown

Jan 5, 2005
    Should there be a big difference in the sound of a 67 P Bass VS a 68 Telecaster Bass ??

2. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Yes. :ninja:

3. not really...i love the telecaster basses more though :smug:

4. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    I would think that there should be a hugh difference. Pick ups, neck, wood, finish, smell :smug:

5. Kid Charlemagne

Kid Charlemagne

May 29, 2002
    Europe
    Yes, there is a big difference!

The telecaster bass has a single coil pickup, which gives it a totally different sound from a precision, which has a split-coil pickup.

Also, the tele bass neck has a maple fretboard, and the precision would probably sport a rosewood one - this is also a major factor in sound.

And finally, the tele bass is stringed through the body, whereas the precision has a regular bridge - this gives a diferrence in sustain.

6. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Fingerboard wood is one of the biggest factors in the sound of the bass so i would say it would be a big diffrence and of course the diffrence with pick ups.

7. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    What he said!
    Get a Dirnt Bass, best of both worlds.

8. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

IMO the pickup would make all the difference: the big bucker located towards the neck versus the split coil located in the middle.

As I recall, early Telecaster basses (don't know what years) had a single-coil pickup like the earliest Fender Precisions... that too would sound different than the split-coil.

9. Kid Charlemagne

Kid Charlemagne

May 29, 2002
    Europe
    A '68 Telecaster would not have the big humbucker IIRC.

10. Kid Charlemagne

Kid Charlemagne

May 29, 2002
    Europe
    But a Dirnt bass is essentially a precision, since it doesn't have neither the single coil nor the string-though bridge (instead it has a Badass one!)

11. I like my Dirnt...Tele look, precision sound...and a great one at that.

12. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
  13. i dont like the dirnt, id rather go the '51 p reissue, the sting, or find a tele

14. Very nice Dirnt. I tried to attach a photo of mine (2-tone sunburst), but I'm having issues.
    The best thing about the Dirnt is: They sound even better than they look!

I have also played the 51' reissue and the Sting. The '51 is great, I almost bought one, but I liked the Dirnt better. The '51 is probably the closest thing to a '68 Tele though.

All these instruments are very cool.