Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

P-bass Vs. Thunderbird

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by StrudelBass, Dec 11, 2002.

1. StrudelBass

StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    California
    Sorry, but I just had to make this topic.;)

So, how does each amount to each other?

2. Ryan K

Ryan K

Dec 11, 2002
    New Jersey
    the gibson one, or the cheaper epiphone and epiphone elite ones?

3. pbassfreak

pbassfreak

May 2, 2001
    long beach
    p bass..much more durable..tbirds are very cool looking though..

4. pull a john entwhistle: thunderbird with a p-bass neck:D fenderbird

5. StrudelBass

StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    California
    Well don't they sound similiar? At least that's what I've been told...

6. keep it real with the weezer signature. you are a true american hero.
    <3,
    matt

7. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    P-Bass. But then I can't stand Gibson basses (personal preference).

Dan

8. The neck dive on the T-Bird is horrible. I can't stand it. I like the P Bass.

9. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

T-birds have a very cool look, and IMO they're the only good-sounding bass that Gibson ever made. But I hate neck-dive and skinny string spacing.

I prefer the balance, look, tone, and playability of the mighty P-bass.

10. RyKnoz

RyKnoz

Dec 22, 2001
    NYC
    I love the tone. comfort and plability of the pbass. An MIA pbass, now thats the stuff.

11. hibeam

hibeam

Oct 16, 2002
    USA
    The only thunderbird worth even looking at is over a grand, and it has all of the aformentioned problems: neck dive, tight string spacing, etc. However, it does look really really cool.

I honestly prefer the look of the 'bird, but the fender P is just a better instrument, IMO.

12. StrudelBass

StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    California
    What if it was a T-bird with a P-bass pickup?

13. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    Then you'd be talking about a non-reverse Epiphone T-Bird (most likely surf green) which in not a "real" T-Bird.

If you're comparing a P-Bass (assuming a USA P-Bass with either alder or ash body) against a neck through USA Gibson (not Epi) T-Bird then the primary tonal difference is that the T-Bird would typically be a little more "growly" that the P-Bass.

It all depends on what T-Bird you're talking about vs what P-Bass.

I don't consider the Epiphones to be "T-Birds" really. They are apples and oranges as compared to a Gibson T-Bird. I also don't consider the modern Gibson T-Birds to be in the same ballpark as a 1979 or older Gibson T-Bird.

Personally speaking, I'd take a '76 T-Bird over any P-Bass ever made but you do need to play around with strap button locations to help with the neck dive....but then again I rarely play a bass one handed!

14. StrudelBass

StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    California
    That "most likely surf green" crack didn't make much sense....Maybe if we were talking about the Hoppus bass...

15. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    That was not a "crack" that was a "fact". If you were asking about a T-bird with a P-Bass pickup then you were talking about an Epiphone Non-Reverse Thunderbird which were primarily made in surf green. They have P/J pickups. Do you want information or not?

16. speaking of T-bird/P-bass hybrids, I was watching some Iron Maiden clips, and in one Steve Harris was playing a blue sparkle reverse Thunderbird, but with a P p/up :confused:
    a custom built bass? by Lado perhaps?

17. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Sounds like one of Steve's Lados. There was one of his blue sparkle Lados on ebay recently but it wasn't T-Bird shaped. Steve had many Lados and still owns most of them but I haven't seen him play one live in many years.

18. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
  19. StrudelBass

StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    California
    Nobody even mentioned the Epiphone T-bird. I was thinking of a custom made T-bird.