1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

p-bass w/ pan pot?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by savagelucy, Aug 15, 2002.

1. savagelucy

savagelucy

Apr 27, 2002
    Canada
    hey,

today i was thinking that it would be kind of sweet to have a p-bass special (w/ p and j pups) with a master volume, pan pot and master tone.
    After more thinking i decided making something like this would be a good first "bass makeover" project for me. But i'm not sure wiring a pan-pot into the p-bass is possible.

is it?

and is it hard to do?

2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    How hard it is to do I cannot tell, however, it's been proven possible repeatedly by many other manyfacturers.

THe hot rod p-bass has a PJ setup too.

3. savagelucy

savagelucy

Apr 27, 2002
    Canada
    doesn't the hot rod have two volumes and one tone? i want one volume, one pan, one tone.

4. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

It's very easy to do.
    I described the mod Here.

All you need is a balance pot, a soldering iron and some patience.

5. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Yes, but I didn't say it had a pan pot.

6. tbonesux

tbonesux Guest

Apr 7, 2002
    Wisconsin
    with all this talk of P's, I just have to post a pic of the only fender I like:

[​IMG]

Hi Jazzad

7. savagelucy

savagelucy

Apr 27, 2002
    Canada
    thanks JazzAd,
    thats a really helpful website.

i think my bass project will start soon, but i don't know if i want a p-bass or a j-.

8. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

A PJ is way more versatile, and I can't stand the J shape.
    So for me, it would be a P rodded with a J pickup.

This, assuming I'd buy a Fender bass, which is not and has never been in my projects.

9. I have two PJ P-Basses. One is brand-new Hot-Rod P-Bass. The other is an older P-Bass that I had modded to a PJ configuration. The older one has a Pan Pot installed. I could have done it myself as they are no harder to install than any other pot. However, I had my luthier do it when he made the PJ modification.

The new Hot-Rod P will be modded to a Pan Pot in the near future. I have also done that mod to J-Basses that I've owned in the past.

There's no reason not to do it if you really want it. I have found that it's much faster and easier to make adjustments on the fly with the pan pot than with two volume pots.

Give it a try. It's not a permanent mod if you don't like it. It's easy to convert it back to two volumes.