Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

p-bass w/ pan pot?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by savagelucy, Aug 15, 2002.

1. savagelucy

savagelucy

Apr 27, 2002
    Canada
    hey,

today i was thinking that it would be kind of sweet to have a p-bass special (w/ p and j pups) with a master volume, pan pot and master tone.
    After more thinking i decided making something like this would be a good first "bass makeover" project for me. But i'm not sure wiring a pan-pot into the p-bass is possible.

is it?

and is it hard to do?

2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    How hard it is to do I cannot tell, however, it's been proven possible repeatedly by many other manyfacturers.

THe hot rod p-bass has a PJ setup too.

3. savagelucy

savagelucy

Apr 27, 2002
    Canada
    doesn't the hot rod have two volumes and one tone? i want one volume, one pan, one tone.

4. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

It's very easy to do.
    I described the mod Here.

All you need is a balance pot, a soldering iron and some patience.

5. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Yes, but I didn't say it had a pan pot.

6. tbonesux

tbonesux Guest

Apr 7, 2002
    Wisconsin
    with all this talk of P's, I just have to post a pic of the only fender I like:

[​IMG]

Hi Jazzad

7. savagelucy

savagelucy

Apr 27, 2002
    Canada
    thanks JazzAd,
    thats a really helpful website.

i think my bass project will start soon, but i don't know if i want a p-bass or a j-.

8. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

A PJ is way more versatile, and I can't stand the J shape.
    So for me, it would be a P rodded with a J pickup.

This, assuming I'd buy a Fender bass, which is not and has never been in my projects.

9. I have two PJ P-Basses. One is brand-new Hot-Rod P-Bass. The other is an older P-Bass that I had modded to a PJ configuration. The older one has a Pan Pot installed. I could have done it myself as they are no harder to install than any other pot. However, I had my luthier do it when he made the PJ modification.

The new Hot-Rod P will be modded to a Pan Pot in the near future. I have also done that mod to J-Basses that I've owned in the past.

There's no reason not to do it if you really want it. I have found that it's much faster and easier to make adjustments on the fly with the pan pot than with two volume pots.

Give it a try. It's not a permanent mod if you don't like it. It's easy to convert it back to two volumes.