1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

P-Bass....Warmoth or MIJ ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Texx, Mar 31, 2006.

1. Texx

Texx

Sep 10, 2004
    Germany
    I have '96 MIM P-Bass and want to step up a little. I like the classic "P-Bass with Maple fretboard" sound and i'm thinking about two options which are in the same price range.
    1. Get a MIJ 57 RI P-Bass
    2. Build a Warmoth and put in a Fender' 62 Pickup i already have.

Building the Warmoth i could aplly my favourite color "vintage cream" which is not an option on Fender basses with maple board.
    But on the other hand i'm afraid a warmoth neck (steel bars and double truss rod) would be to far away from the classic p-tone.
    I surely would enjoy not to do the seasonable neck adjustments.

Getting the MIJ i'd have the wider nut which i like and a Fender decal on the headstock. Not because of resell value, just for the looks:) . I´m aware of the resell value of a Warmoth bass.

Need help deciding....

2. Phil Mailloux

Phil Mailloux

Mar 25, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    Builder: Mailloux Basses
    You would still need to do the seasonal neck adjustment with a warmoth neck.

You'll need several tools and lots of knowledge if you want to go the warmoth way, it's not as easy as slapping together a few parts. The toughest part is the setup, if you can't setup properly you'll end up with a poorly playing instrument. There's lots of online sites showing you how to do the job if you want to go that way and the Dan Erlewine books and videos are great for that, but building it yourslef is not the cheapest way to do things. Think it over, it might be cheaper to go with the MIJ if it's for the money, but very satisfying to do it yourself though.

EDIT:
    just noticed you're in germany, don't forget a neck and a body is heavy, add at least another 100 euros of shipping costs for all your parts and hopefully you won't get too much EU duty when it gets there too.

3. Texx

Texx

Sep 10, 2004
    Germany
    ...one of my friends is in the US army so i could use his APO adress
    for that.

I´m not experienced in putting together instruments but could get help from more experineced friends. The setup i think i could do well but
    probably would do a plek anyway.

...interesting, could you tell me something about the sound of this neck contruction too?

4. Phil Mailloux

Phil Mailloux

Mar 25, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    Builder: Mailloux Basses
    I've never used warmoth necks (I build my own) so I can't comment on them.

Before doing a Plek fret job your bass needs to be setup properly, proper neck relief, intonation, string height, pickup height ect... I have no idea if these guys will set it up for you first but I doubt it.

You can always check if a local luthier will set it up for you first but really, an invaluable tool for this is Dan Erlewine's "make your electric giutar play great" buy it and see after if you REALLY want to build it or just buy an MIJ. You'll have a better idea of whats involved after reading it.

5. Texx

Texx

Sep 10, 2004
    Germany
    The PLEK guys do a setup befor doing the frets.
    But i know how to adjust neck relief, intonation and string height because i had 10 years learning time on my MIM which needs little adjustments often.

Anyway....more opinions?

6. Rvl

Rvl

Dec 23, 2003
    Aomori Japan
    I would get a Fender Japan directly from Japan

I have a couple of Warmoth basses , but they dont have the resale value that a Fender Japan has. A new Warmoth with all the parts and electrics is around $1000+shipping. A Fender Japan would be around $600+shipping. A used Warmoth would sell for $450 or so and a used Fender Japan would also sell for $450.

Also you could get your friend into trouble using his APO address
    By regulations they are not allowed to use it for it for business purposes or to allow others to use it.

If you want a used Fender Japan email me. I'll help you buy one from a Japanese shop or help you to find one on the Japanese Yahoo auctions.

Thanks

Robert VanLane

7. Texx

Texx

Sep 10, 2004
    Germany
    thank you for your offer.
    That site got my attentionguitarjapan

8. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    I got the all natural P with the block inlays from Guitarjapan. I can't recommend Fender Japan more!

9. RobertUI

RobertUI Thumper Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2005
    Herndon, VA - NoVa
    I LOVE LOVE LOVE my MIJ Jazz. I chose it over MIA Jazzes as well as a couple "custom" built Jazzes that I tried. I can't get over their quality control, the thing is built wonderfully!

10. Texx

Texx

Sep 10, 2004
    Germany
    ...damn if i only wouldn´t be into the "vintage cream and maple board" combination so much.
    Buying a MIJ and refinisihing it would be very stupid wouldn´t it?:meh:

11. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    I would (and did!) get a Japanese Precision, and I couldn't be happier. But it certainly wasn't $600+shipping. At the time I got mine (back in Nov '02) it cost me $581 total (including shipping), but at today's exchange rate it's right at $600 total (including shipping).

I recommend Ishibashi over GuitarJapan, as Ishibashi's prices are better, and the $600 I quoted above is Ishibashi's price.

Edit: But I was talking about buying and shipping to the USA. It may be more in Germany if they have any of those VAT fees and such.

12. Go with the real thing, get the MIJ. You won't regret it.

13. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    What don't you like about the MIM?

If you like the vintage cream color, why not try refinishing the MIM? If you screw up, you are out less money than if you screw up on the MIJ. If it works, you save money by not buying the MIJ.

14. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Hey....
    They even have the "Rocco Prestia" like model with the reversed pup.
    Hmmmmm..........

15. jz0h4d

jz0h4d

Apr 26, 2005
    Get the Made in America model!

16. I just got a Classic Series (MIM) 50's P-Bass, black, gold anodized pickguard, 1 piece maple neck/board and I'm pleasantly surprised. The build quality, fit and finish are excellent. I was planning on installing an aftermarket pickup but I don't think I'm going to, the stock unit sounds good to me. I've owned many MIJ's, both g****rs and basses, over the years and this bass is every bit as good IMO. Check one out if you get the chance.

17. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    Personally I'd go with a MIJ.....ever since I purchased my '84 MIJ P-bass I'm officially sold on MIJ Fenders.

18. instigata

instigata

Feb 24, 2006
    New Jersey
    well, im sold on used fender american.

like the roscoe beck im getting in a week !!!!

19. Texx

Texx

Sep 10, 2004
    Germany
    you are right about that, but the MIM is poplar/rosewood and i´d like to have an alder/maple p-bass too. And i already refinished the MIM to look like a ´59 (see pic)

The Ishibashi prices are really good and i will have a look on the new '50 MIM´s too.
    but i think i'm gonna do the warmoth for the colour and experience of building something alone (almost).

Attached Files:

20. instigata

instigata

Feb 24, 2006
    New Jersey
    building urself is great. but do your homework. and do it well.

then do it again. even for something as simple as putting a neck and a bridge and tuners together, you may still find a multitude of ways to waste money/ruin high quality components. great learning experience, yes. and an equally good chance of potential failure.