1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

P-Bass Weird Volume Taper

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by soundfan75, Feb 13, 2016.

1. soundfan75

soundfan75

Dec 5, 2011
    Texas
    I have a '63 American Vintage P-Bass that I bought used for a back-up bass. I checked it out when I bought it and everything is stock, but lately i've been rolling the volume back to fade out during songs and noticed the the taper seems weird. Most of the volume drops from 10 to 9 or maybe 8-ish. The rest of the travel is hardly noticeable? Does this seem right to P-bass users? Thought I'd ask before I take it apart and inspect further.

2. LoveThatBass

LoveThatBass

Jun 28, 2004
    Check to see if it has a 500k or 250k ohm pot. 500k will have less adjustment than a 250k (which is what it should have) . Also the pot might lose connection with the carbon trace at that point

3. Growlmonkee

Growlmonkee

Jan 30, 2013
    Florida, U.S.
    I don't know models, or specs, but, most old Fenders have audio taper pots, and audio taper is a general term, in that there are several different tapers called "audio" taper, on a graph linear taper pots should be a straight line of change from 0 to 10, "audio" pots are available with different shaped curves, if shown on a graph measuring resistance, yours may be behaving normal, depending on what the taper actually is, several different tapers were used over the years, (and some don't work well, where it would seem only a small part of the turn is usable volume change) (they used them anyway)....linear pots have a better useful range, as a volume pot, you could carefully change it, and keep the old one, or have a good tech do it, just let him know you need to be able to put it all back exactly as it was, with no damage, should you wish to, to keep the vintage value.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2016
  4. bigtone23

bigtone23

Dec 10, 2014
    Denver, CO
    I find this to be the case with a 250K audio volume on my Pbass. I love audio taper when I'm playing with grit and distortion as it helps clean up more smoothly as I roll it down. Linear pots are more consistent if you play clean.