1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

P bass wiring diagram: please help

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Kevsy71, Feb 27, 2016.

1. Kevsy71

Kevsy71

May 2, 2012
    About to wire in some Fender 'original '62 bass pickup' reissues. The diagram with the pups is:

25185898731_9af7707fc1_b.

Close up:

25252792556_6a0826e9a3_b.

So to my eyes the cap is going lug-to-lug between the volume and tone pots. I've only seen the cap go from lug to tone pot top (and ground) - so is the diagram correct? Stewmac also has a lug-to-lug cap, but additionally has the cap soldered to the vol pot top to ground, and uses different lugs:

I think there's a mistake in this one too - white is hot and black is ground, according to the text, so surely the connections from the lower two lugs from V in the diagram should be white?

All advice much appreciated, thanks for reading!

2. aproud1

aproud1 Don't surround yourself with yourself. Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Cincy, OH
    Different ways to achieve the same goal. Someone more electronics saavy can explain better but below is how I wire a P bass. It is functionally the same as the top diagram. One side of the cap goes to the middle lug on the tone pot, the other is grounded. One is grounded to the volume pot the other to the tone pot. Either way ground is ground unless you get into a specific grounding scheme. Never wired one like the Stew Mac drawing but I believe it would work the same way. They are functionally the same but are using different parts of the tone pot.

[​IMG]

LoveThatBass and aaronious like this.
  3. aproud1

aproud1 Don't surround yourself with yourself. Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Cincy, OH
    This should help. you are just using the wiper differently. Lug 1&3 both connect to the same thing. Lug 2 is the wiper. (the part that would vary)

guitar_circuits_4.

LoveThatBass likes this.
  4. aaronious

aaronious Supporting Member

May 23, 2011
    Denver CO
    I was gonna post this same diagram but you beat me too it. I've wired 3 P basses this way and never had a problem.

5. Kevsy71

Kevsy71

May 2, 2012
    Thanks for the fast and helpful answers :)

aproud1 likes this.
  6. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    The cap is just going to ground, instead of shunting it to ground at the back of the pot, they took it to the grounded lug of the volume pot.

LoveThatBass likes this.
  7. Kevsy71

Kevsy71

May 2, 2012
    Update: now soldered in and working fine. Thanks again for the advice all!

aproud1 likes this.