1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

P bass wiring with star grounding and no solder on pots

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by AlarmClock314, Oct 31, 2013.

1. AlarmClock314

AlarmClock314

Mar 26, 2007
    Southern WI
    Hello TB!

I know how to wire in parallel, but series wiring stumps me. I'm looking for a P bass wiring diagram with the standard V-T-input jack setup, in series, except for it to be star grounded to the output jack with no solder on the backs of the pots. :help:

The P pickup I'm using has four conductor wires:
    White (hot), black/blue (ground), red/green (twist together for humbucking)

2. Crater

Crater

Oct 12, 2011
    Dallas, TX area
    Standard P-bass wiring has the pickup coils wired in series already.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=std_pbass

Why this restriction? :confused: Buy some liquid soldering flux if you're having trouble soldering to the backs of pots. Running the grounds to the output jack instead the pot casings won't fix any noise issues. The standard wiring is fine and is already single-point grounded. But if you insist, simply run any connections from the back of the pot to the sleeve connection on the output jack.

3. AlarmClock314

AlarmClock314

Mar 26, 2007
    Southern WI
    Would this work well? Basically all grounds are attached to the input jack sleeve. (sorry about the quick mock-up)

DSC02757_zps29ee8bbd.

4. jumbodbassman

jumbodbassman Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2009
    Stuck in traffic -NY & CT
    Born Again Tubey
    looks like solder on the pots????

5. AlarmClock314

AlarmClock314

Mar 26, 2007
    Southern WI
    Indeed. After reading more on TB and other guitar forums, I can't seem to find any good reason not to solder it that way. The pro seems to be better grounding and the con seems to be potential for damaging pots if done incorrectly.

I'm really just looking for an optimal wiring setup. Wasn't sure if series wiring changed anything for the grounds. Let me know if there is a setup that would be better.