Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

P bass wiring with star grounding

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by basss, Apr 7, 2005.

1. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    I'm putting a passive P bass together and I want to make sure its properly grounded and shielded. Are there any diagrams out there? I've installed electronics in a couple passive basses but still don't really know what I'm doing. I need a detailed diagram to do it right. Thanks

2. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    Thanks George, great info on that site! Is there directions like that for a p bass? I don't think I have enoungh experience to adapt the Strat wiring and I hate plugging everything in only to find it doesn't work.

3. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    Here's another:

http://www.stewmac.com/freeinfo/I-0139.html

4. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    I've seen the stewmac diagram. Doesn't there have to be a wire to ground the sheilding? I also read that it's not so good to ground to the back of the pots. Is that true?

5. bigbeefdog

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    As long as the soldering is done correctly (e.g., without overheating), using the back of the pots should be OK. I've seen it often, and never encountered a problem with it.

The shielding gives the best (hum-canceling) results if it is electrically conencted to "system ground". Back of the pots, wire to the bridge, whatever's easiest.

What are you planning to use to shield? Shielding paint?

6. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    I'm going to use copper tape to shield. So I can just run a wire from the tape to any ground point? Can you solder directly to this tape?

For the pickup cavity can I run ground wire from the tape there to the tape in the control cavity since it will be grounded?

7. bigbeefdog

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    All of the shielding "sections", for lack of a better word, should be marshalled (electrically connected) together, and given a path to "system ground". So yes, they should all be brought to a ground point, wherever the most convienient one may be.

Solder to the tape? Hmmmmm.... you probably *could*, but I've never tried that, exactly.....

8. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    Check the pickups FAQ. There's a mini article there on Jazz Bass shielding, and most of it will apply to the P Bass as well.