P-bass wiring

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by glwanabe, May 2, 2003.

1. glwanabe

glwanabe Guest

Apr 21, 2002
    I am in the process of re-wiring my p-bass. I have the supplied diagram that came with the new pickups, SD/QP's, however there is also a diagram on the guitar electronics site that shows a typical P-bass diagram that is slightly different. The seymour duncan diagram that came with the pickups is different than the one at guitar electronics. They supposedly are both for Seymour Duncan pickups.In addition Stewmac has a diagram that shows a different configuration. The basic difference is that one shows the capacitor connected between the two pots, while the other shows the capacitor connected only to the tone pot and grounded to it.
    question is, since i am still learning is, what is the difference? Which way is better?
    Look at the wiring diagrams at,
    From what i understand already the capacitor is used only for the tone control as a way to bleed certain freqs out. Maybe someone could describe the variables and why there would be a difference for such a simple wiring job.
    Also, is there a preferred type of solder to use or will basic flux core solder do the job.
  2. permagrin

May 1, 2003
    San Pedro, CA
    I've got a P-bass with SD 1/4 pounders, I soldered the cap only to the tone pot only, not between the tone and vol pos, and it works just the way it's supposed to.

Of course this doesn't answer your question, I'm looking forward to informed replies.
  3. rick123

Oct 20, 2001
    Evanston, Wyoming
    I hope I can help a little.Most of the differences in those diagrams have to do with where you choose to ground. The diagram showing the cap soldered to both volume and tone pickups simply has the cap soldered to ground on the volume pot. Just remember to connect every ground and it matters very little to which case as long as everything's grounded. I have tried 3 or 4 wiring diagrams for all kinds of passive pickup configs and have only found one misprint. I suggest using an inexpensive multi-meter to check if you have questions...good luck.
  4. glwanabe

glwanabe Guest

Apr 21, 2002
    thanks for the reply. I have already found were i went wrong, and now understand the differences in those diagrams. She growls just fine now. Your advice was spot on mate.