Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

P-bass with an added MM pickup

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PilbaraBass, Feb 7, 2005.

1. Does anyone have (or have had) a P-bass (or P-bass copy) with the standard split coil P-bass pup AND an added MM type pickup?

If you do, do you have any photos and what do you think about using this combination of pickups on a bass?

I've seen the J-neck/MM pup arrangement plenty of times but have never come across a P/MM arrangement.

2. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    I've often wondered about this config myself and why no one's tried to do it. Can't wait to hear some input!

3. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    There's been a couple of threads on this subject in recent months. Can't recall which forum: here, Luthiers or pickups.

4. Rvl

Rvl

Dec 23, 2003
    Aomori Japan
  5. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    That's pretty cool looking! How are the controls set up and how do you like it? Specifically compared to a P/J config?

6. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
  7. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

My understanding (there are probably some old, old threads around where people talked about this) is that you can't have a P pickup in the "the P sweetspot" and a MM pickup in "the MM sweetspot" on the same bass because they overlap.

So you have choices:

- move the P pickup and have the MM in the sweetspot (no commercial basses I've seen)
    - move the MM pickup and have the P in the sweetspot (Am P Deluxe)

I know Ed Friedland one time put a P pickup on a Stingray - he kept the DG coil of the P in the "normal place" and "flipped" the EA coil up farther towards the neck so it would fit. I think other folks have tried similar things as well.

I always wondered what it would sound like to put 3 J style pickups on a bass - one centered between the P and MM sweetspots and the other two spaced appropriately around those centers so you could switch between a "2J humbucker" centered on the P sweetspot and a "2J humbucker" centered on the MM sweetspot (use a reverse wound pickup in the center). Since so far P sounds and MM sounds are what I like best I'd like to find a way to combine those - so far a properly selected P-J seems to get the closest.

8. Texx

Texx

Sep 10, 2004
    Germany
  9. Does anyone have the dimensions for this? I'd like to check it out for myself. From a/b -ing P-bass and ray photos, it just might fit.

Don't you mean that he flipped the DG coil up towards the neck and kept the EA coil where it was? (the other way doesn't make sense.) And are you sure he did this so it would fit and not because he preferred a more "fundimental" tone from the P-pup on the D & G strings?

After seeing that P-bass deluxe, I am giving SERIOUS consideration to modifying it to accept a MM-style pup in the bridge position.

10. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    The distances are to the magnetic centres of the pickups I beleive. This is a cleaned up version of something that was posted here a while back.

11. Great diagram.
    hmmmm...looks like it won't quite get there...oh well...The mod still looks like it would be a winner. I checked out the reviews of the precision deluxe on harmony-central and it looks like a very useable combination of pups.

hmmm...Maybe instead of the huge MM pup in the MM sweet spot I could put a KA soapbar or something....YEAH,,,,((can you see the smoke trail streaming off my brain cells?))

12. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    Had been thinking P/MM and decided to have Mike Kinal make a nice one for me. Hopefully to be completed early April... I went with a reverse-P/MM. I'm seriously looking forward to getting my fingers on it :hyper:

13. chekerbored

chekerbored

Nov 18, 2004
    STL
    I've been looking at this stuff too. I have a j-bass body and i dont know if im just gonna put regular j's in it or try some pickup mods. I almost want a bunch of pickups in one bass just for fun but i dont have the money, but i would love to see it and hear it. the only thing i would worry about would be the wiring and the hum it would prolly get. I almost think something like a Stu Hamm Urge II but with a MM in the bridge position and maybe put a coil tap in it. but thats a dream, and im gonna need to get through college first.