Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

P Bass with EMG BTC System?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by dgce, Oct 19, 2005.

1. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    I have an old mid 80s G&L SB-1. This is basically G&L’s P-bass. I bought it used in great condition already modded with an EMG P pickup. The bass sounds great but I can't help but think I'm only getting a fraction out of what this pickup can do. I checked EMG's site and see that they have a BTC System which is basically a concentric knob that can cut or boost the bass and treble. As the bass is right now, there is only master volume and a tone knob like a conventional P bass set up.

Does anyone out there have a BTC System on their axe? What do you think there would be a big difference tonally using this system?

Thanks for the help.

r

2. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    I would use the Aggie OPB-1 Preamp. Bass/Treble, it would make a good complement.

3. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    I'm happy with the EMG BT and BQ systems in my basses...I like the boost/cut capability, the Aggie OPB-1 is boost only...

4. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    As far as I understand, the BTC system isn't necessarily an additional preamp, just a better means of better controlling the active EMG P pickup. I don't want to overkill on the whistles and bells here; I already have a G&L ASAT for that. I like that this bass is simple but figure a little more tonal variety couldn't hurt especially seeing as the goods are already installed on the bass. I just want to take what's already there and make it better. I also like that it’s not a serious mod; the volume control remains the same, only the tone knob is replaced.

r

http://www.emginc.com/displayproducts.asp?section=Accessories&categoryid=33&catalogid=104

5. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    That's right, the preamps for EMG systems are built into the pickups themselves, the BT and BQ systems are tone CIRCUITS, not preamps.

6. I've had one in a MIM Jazz with EMG JV pickups and now have one in my Guild Pilot 5 with Ultra Jazzes.In both cases they work pretty well,they don't change your basic tone a ton they just work to give you some EQ options live so you don't have to mess with your amps EQ on stage.

7. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    Ah, gotcha. That BTC control looks like it will work fine.

8. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    Thanks for confirming this! I figured this was the case but I wasn't 100% positive about it.

Follow up question, is there a device available through EMG that would allow me to use a push/pull knob on my volume that would enable me to utilize a pre-set mids cut for slapping? Think of it; I have a standard P bass setup with one EMG P pickup, one vol, one tone. The tone knob has the BTC concentric knob that can cut or boost the bass and treble. The vol knob works like a normal master volume but pulled up it cuts the mids for some slapping. No extra knobs; no routing. What do you think? Anything out there fit the bill?

r

9. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    I dunno if EMG has anything like that, though I think other manufactures do...I don't know if the PA-2 boost circuit would do what you're thinking, it's more of a level boost than an EQ boost or dip...unless you wire it from the EQ to change the level...hmm...interesting concept...but I don't think that's what you're looking for...I think there's a circuit out there that's three band with a mid that's push pull that does what you're looking for, but I can't recall which brand, and it would be from the EQ that it's controlled, not the volume...

10. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    Hmm...I'll keep searching. I really want to keep things simple and I'm pretty sold on the BTC control on my tone knob. I just thought the mid-cut option would be a nice plus and likely a simple upgrade. Thanks for the feedback and if anyone else knows of anything, please give me a holler.

r