1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

P-Bass With Jazz Neck

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pshep68, Apr 18, 2010.

1. pshep68

pshep68

Sep 21, 2006
    Hi all.
    I like the sound of the p-bass but the neck width (especially at the nut) is really problematic to my arthritis. Can you guys suggest some P-style basses with jazz style neck? Thanks.

2. ghostjs

ghostjs

Aug 14, 2008
    ghostjs
    Unofficially Endorsing: D'Addario, Lakland
    use the search function on the forum. very easy to use and this topic has been covered many times over

3. LotusCarsLtd52

LotusCarsLtd52

Dec 6, 2009
  4. LuvMusic

LuvMusic

Aug 18, 2007
    Oak Park, IL
    Lakland Skyline Duck Dunn......one of my favorites.

5. Walking

Walking

Apr 5, 2010
    Minnesota
    Wouldn't it be simplist to put a p-style pickup on a j bass?

6. +1
    Beat me to it.
    Great basses.

7. mattygbass

mattygbass Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Stafford Springs, CT
    +1, this is your best choice for the money right here!! the duff is nice as well but i believe it is also is a pj

8. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    Another vote for the Dunn. It looks great, too.

9. jefkritz

jefkritz

Oct 20, 2007
    iowa city, IA
    not really. putting a direct replacement j-bass neck onto a p-bass seems quite a bit easier than routing for a pickup. imo at least

also, most j-bass special or p-bass special (ie pj fenders) have jazz necks. plus, you get an extra pickup.

10. EdHunter

EdHunter

Jan 14, 2010
    Dublin
    Fender Active P-Bass Special

P body, J neck, P pickup at neck, J pickup at bridge, active bass/mid/treble boost and cut, best bass I've ever played, makes every sound it is possible to make with a bass, and since its a Fender, you know you can trust the quality, and even mine (which is MIM) is perfect quality wise.

11. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    If you want a P style body, either the Lakland Skyline Duck Dunn or the G&L SB-1. The SB-1 isn't on G&L's web site for some reason, but it was released last year. It has G&L's monstrous MFD split-coil and a tone control, in contrast to the SB-2 which has a bridge J pickup and no tone control. I have the SB-2, and nothing hits like that MFD splitter. It's amazing.

You could also consider Fender's Reggie Hamilton Standard, which has a Jazz body and neck and P/J pickups. It's one of the better values in Fender's lineup.

12. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    OlyWA...
    How about just buy parts and build your own?

13. Flabass

Flabass Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    St. Petersburg
    80's or early 90's Peavey Fury, made in USA. Precision with Jazz neck. Can get them cheap and upgrade if you feel you need too.

14. LotusCarsLtd52

LotusCarsLtd52

Dec 6, 2009
    I'd love to do that with either a '51 P bass body or a standard P bass body with P/J configuration

15. BassScum

BassScum

May 1, 2008
    So Cal
    Replace a Fender P neck with a jazz neck and call it a day. I did this. Removed the neck on a Fender MIM P and replaced it with a Fender MIA jazz neck. No mods necessary, only a set up. I love it. Many people have done this. Tons of jazz necks out there MIA, MIM and aftermarket. I wouldn't recommend trying to swap the Squier body/neck with MIM and MIA Fenders because you may run into fit problems.

16. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    OlyWA...
    There is also el-bay, I build a killer bass that is the exact opposite of what the OP wants, a jazz with a P neck: I ended up with a MIJ body and a old ESP neck I got off of e-bay. Out side of a 64 fender I got to play once it is the best Jbass ever!

17. screaminglucy

screaminglucy

Jul 20, 2009
    TX, USA

both excellent choices

18. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    If you're handy with a router.... the other thing to consider then with a P/J is a noiseless jazz pup or some other means of hum canceling since you're removing the neck pup.

I'm not a fan of DIY in general, but that's just me. Definitely look for a Duck Dunn or there is the older fender jazz specials and current precision specials. There are also the occasional vintage P's with jazz necks, but they're a lot harder to come by than most of the other options - I did find one earlier this year though :D.

19. Not to pile on, but Duck Dunns are great. Mine has become my primary gigging bass. Plays like a dream, ergonomically friendly, sounds great, looks great and stays in tune. What else is there?

20. christle

christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Fender Aerodyne Precision has a jazz neck, you can find them used on Ebay and they are also incredibly light...good tone too..