Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

P-Bass with Mucho Mojo!!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Arthur U. Poon, Jan 25, 2005.

1. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I found and played my dream P-Bass over the weekend.
    Long story, but please bear with me:

I had a weekend gig out of town last weekend. An old boy came up during our first break Friday night and asked if he could play his harmonica on a few tunes. I expected he'd be a 'functional' harp player at best, but he ended up being quite good.

So he tells me about an old P-Bass he's had forever and he asked me if I'd like to play it on Saturday night's gig. "Sure, I'd love to!" was my reply.

So he shows up on Saturday with a stock L-Series P-Bass! :eek: He was guessing either '63 or '64. It's Black finish was beautifully oxidized, the finish on the back of it's neck was worn off from all the years of playing; it was smooth as silk. I was shaking and smiling from ear-to ear as I plugged it into my amp. What a sound!

I played it for our second set and I didn't want to put it down nor give it back, what a beauty. The only thing that wasn't stock was it's pickguard, which was replaced by it's previous owner. It's action was perfect for my touch.

I asked the old boy (Bruce) if he knew how much money he was sitting on. (I was thinking about a straight-up trade for my Modulus Q-4) He knew they were worth some big dollars but he said: "I don't care if it's worth a million dollars, I'll never sell it." Ouch! :crying:

My band is booked there again in 6 weeks, I'm going to take my MIA Standard P-Bass with a Nordstrand NP4 pickup to hear how close it sounds to an original article. If my P-Bass sounds half as good as his, I'll be overjoyed.

Thanks for hanging in there with me, everyone.
    -Art

2. Very cool story, thanks for sharing. Must have been a real thrill.

3. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Those old P-basses are great. When I was in grad school, the local music store had a '59 P-bass for a while that sounded as good as any, I mean any bass I have ever played. There is a reason why Fenders have remained a standard even though more modern designs have been available for decades.

4. Wow, what a find. Pics! You never know, he may just sell it someday...

5. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    That's a great idea. I'll get a pic of me with both P-Basses taken and I'll get it posted here.

6. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001

I would take a picture of me with my Pbass deluxe, but I don't want to scare anybody away here!!! :eek:

Seriously, your Pbass should stack up nicely in terms of sound. My understanding is that Carey builds his NP4 the same way Fender made a P pickup back around 1962.

BTW, what kind of strings were on that guys Pbass, and what do you use? I use TI Jazz Flats-sounds awesome with the NP4 IMHO. :bassist:

7. May I ask what exactly does L-series mean?

Thats an awesome story. My dream is to wander to some old house and find a dusty old fender case with some amazing mint 60 something J in it. Never will happen, but it would be awesome if it did. ;)

8. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    As I've read, the serial numbers on Fender's basses produced from late 1962 through 1965 started with the letter "L".

-Art

9. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Beefbass, long time! Thanks for turning me on to the Nordstrand NP4 pickup. I really love it's sound. :cool:

I've been thinking about some flats, and I've never used TI's. I think it's time to try 'em out! :)

They were some kind of nickel roundwounds on his P-Bass, possibly Slinkys or D'Addario XL's. The only thing he was sure of were that they'd been on it for a long time. They sounded really dead, which IMO added to it's Mojo. :bassist:

-Art