1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

P Bass with Ric Bridge?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JustJeffJr., Aug 30, 2008.

1. JustJeffJr.

JustJeffJr.

Aug 28, 2008
    Richmond, VA
    This might belong in setup and repair, I'm not sure, but..

I'm hot rodding my p bass, and among other things, I'm wanting a larger/higher mass bridge.

I've got a few direct replacement options in mind, but I can't help but notice that Ric style bridges look pretty hot. Question is will this work?

If so, then anything I should know before attempting?:confused:

2. I would probably go with a Badass or even a Gotoh 201 over the Ric bridge. There's a reason why so many people complain about them. They're kind of hard to adjust.

3. bobalu

bobalu Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2004
    above the 49th
    The Ric bridge will not be a direct replacement. It incorporates a deep route for the mute assembly and a 2 + 3 screw mount. Also, (and I have a 2007 4003), the bridge is the weakest link in a Ric. They are very quirky to adjust and annoying to intonate. It doesn't sit flush on the body either (look up "tail lift" on any Ric Forum). Not the greatest design. There are lots of high mass direct fits out there for you (Fenders new HM bridge on their new 2008 models is very nice). Hipshot makes some nice direct bolt on's as well. I do agree that the Ric bridge "looks" cool though!

4. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    What about the Hipshot Ric bridge?

5. daveman50

daveman50 Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Westchester County NY
    I have to say this is a unique idea. Weird, but unique. Keep in mind:

1) The Ric bridge is not a high-mass bridge. It's cast aluminum.

2) Ric string spacing at the bridge is 1/4" narrower than a stock Fender, and I doubt it's feasible to spread the slots in the Ric saddles far enough to make up the difference.

6. Plus I don't think there's enough room to put it on a P body. Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems like a P bridge is a lot closer to the butt end of the body.

7. BigBassBob

BigBassBob

Jul 17, 2005
    Wales, UK
    The Rick bridge looks cool, but it's a TERRIBLE design. Don't do it man.

8. daveman50

daveman50 Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Westchester County NY
    Very good point. I just measured it & the Rick bridge would be about 1/2" too long.

Back to the drawing board.....

9. superfunk47

superfunk47

Sep 9, 2007
    It looks like it'd be a high mass design, but it doesn't actually make a whole lot of contact with the body. Lots of empty space between the bottom of the bridge and the body. If you want the look, I'd go with the Hipshot replacement, although I'd try and find a a more direct Fender-ish replacement - lord knows it'll be easier to find one that way.

10. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    +1 to all of that.

11. JustJeffJr.

JustJeffJr.

Aug 28, 2008
    Richmond, VA
    :meh:Bummer...
    Ah well no big deal, many thanks for the responses though, very much appreciated!

12. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Yep. The bridge is the thing I like least about my Ric. Get a Badass II is my advice.

13. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I grow organic carrots and they are not for sale

That would be the part to try ... also it would be totally reversable ... A real Ric bridge would require routing out some wood ...